Would you buy a larger-sensor Nikon mirrorless?

How good is the contax af in terms of speed and ability to lock on?

Here is the video from the link that I posted above. This was the first update before they resolved the hunting af at mfd. So it is pretty good after the initial start for the adapter to catch its focus. It is screw af so not silent esp the start up. Check the video. The fast phase detection af is only with A7 II (after firmware 2 update) & A7R II. Older A7/A7R works only with slow contrast af.

Last edited:
Yes, I would certainly buy a larger sensor Nikon mirrorless. But they won't release one will they. Which is a massive shame and arguably a waste, as they clearly have the know how and experience to do it. They won't even do a proper successor to the Coolpix A. If you're already invested in another compact camera system and are happy with it, then you're not really going to be interested in the Nikon 1 system are you. Nikon delivers fantastic gear, but if you want the best they currently have to offer its DSLR only.

I committed to 4/3 - m4/3, several years ago. And, have wandered off track a couple times, looking for better IQ. But, was never quite satisfied with the equipment that I could afford, and came back to Panasonic and Olympus. Not the perfect solution, but a workable compromise. I just added a EM5 yesterday, and already realize, that it is so small, that the buttons are so cramped and tiny, that my old arthritic fingers are having trouble working with it. If I could afford the cost, I would probably jump ship completely to a large sensor mirror-less system.
So the answer is probably no.

Back