Straps Talk to me about camera straps

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
I know there are some serious gear nerds on this board, and I know a lot about what I want, but I don't know a better way to find it than to ask the lot of you. Let me describe what I'm looking for, and see if any of you have a good suggestion.

Camera Strap...

I will have an X100 and an X-T1 (when it finally gets here). There will be many days when I use both interchangably, as the X100 is both smaller, stealthier, and fills the 35mm length in my lens lineup. So I am picturing a strap setup that has leads which stay on the camera strap lugs permanently and don't scratch the body, and then the strap clicks securely into those leads. When I use a camera strap, I sling the camera across me diagonally. That way I can rotate it onto my back as I bike, or as I stand and talk to people... On the bike I can't have it dangling down and hitting the steering tube, and when I'm standing around talking I don't like it to be between me and other people - I prefer the camera to be out of the way and not part of the conversation. So I reach up with my right hand and tug on the strap, which pulls the camera back around my right side and up onto my lower back. When it's time to shoot, I reach back with my right hand and sling the camera around front, and shoot (often 1-handed, if I'm biking). That kind of action shot stuff will probably be a lot more prominent with the X100, given the size difference (and the lens hood and clear filter setup that means the lens is always uncovered). And finally, I don't love "modern" or bulky looking straps all that much, so it needs to be minimal in size and quiet in color. Bonus points for stylish / timeless usage of leather.

So is there a good looking strap that I can order 2 or 3 sets of leads for, leave them on the cameras, and alternate between cameras quickly?

Sounds like a Blackrapid requirement. I've never bought blackrapid straps but I do know they have bits and bobs and clips here and there... but the straps just look really wide..
Home - BLACKRAPID

Hmmm... Too industrial. You're right, they're really wide. They look like military gear. Also, the only one I thought looked remotely ok was "designed by and for women," and cost a staggering $62. Does not compute.

Also, could someone who uses a wrist strap walk me through it? You'd think it would be really simple and not require any explanation, but somehow I can't picture an actual workflow with a wrist strap. Do you...

- leave it on the camera all the time, even in the bag / case?
- pull the camera out, slip the strap over your hand, tighten it, then start shooting, then... let the camera dangle?
- is it just as insurance against drops while you're hand-holding?

With my RX100 I tend to put the strap over my wrist and then it's extra insurance while I carry the camera - it's small enough to fit in even my tiny hand quite comfortably. I wouldn't let it dangle, too much risk of getting it knocked. When I've decided I don't want the hassle of carrying it, it goes back into the belt pouch.

I would love something similar to that. Seems the only straps I can find that can quickly be changed or either overkill or just fugly. OPTech one's are some of the least hideous, but I'm holding out for something better. Here's a Google image search for camera straps with quick release..... camera strap with quick release - Google Search

There are some short little nylon straps with clips (like the ugly ones that come with cameras) that I see a lot of DIY'ers and resellers on Etsy using combined with leather or vintage'y "hippie" straps. That may end up being one way to get something with some character. I really love the look of the Artisan & Artist straps, but I spend too much on cameras to afford their straps. I currently go strapless or use a Gordy's leather strap (good-looking and reasonably priced, but no easy switching the strap between cameras.

Have to get a new bike chain this afternoon, then I'll stop in the local cam shop and see what they stock. I feel like I need something that can slide around easily, which is counter to what most of the "serious" ones seem designed for, with grippy rubber and a wide padded spot for your neck area. I need to sling it front-to-back a lot.

I've been looking for a good sling strap option as well...I used a couple of wrist straps on my X100. Usually kept it in a small sling bag and when I took it out for extended periods of time, I used the wrist strap and held the camera, never letting it dangle.

Prostrap has a couple that I have used in the past, the protective pad is from gordys straps...Deluxe Ring ProStrap® Camera Wrist Strap
Classic Ring ProStrap® Camera Wrist Strap

A quick release version: Deluxe Snap Strap ProStrap® Camera Wrist Strap
The loop straps work nice also.

A camera strap option: Wapiti Straps - Handcrafted camera strap for the Photojournalist

Good luck!

Also, could someone who uses a wrist strap walk me through it? You'd think it would be really simple and not require any explanation, but somehow I can't picture an actual workflow with a wrist strap. Do you...

- leave it on the camera all the time, even in the bag / case?
- pull the camera out, slip the strap over your hand, tighten it, then start shooting, then... let the camera dangle?
- is it just as insurance against drops while you're hand-holding?

I recently started using a wrist strap on the XE1 cameras. On the X Pro 1 cameras I use Leica M straps as they are narrow enough to be flexible. With the wrist straps I started out with the strap attached to the right hand lug as I'm right handed. Someone on another forum said that he attached them to the LEFT hand lug as he was always struggling to get something out of his pocket or hold a coffee cup in his hand with a camera attached to it. I went to the left hand lug and it's changed my life. I use the Cordweaver straps from the UK. Available on the auction site.

Kyle, check out the Peak Designs offerings. They have a strap (leash) and wrist cuff that both work off of connectors that stay attached to your camera. I've only tried the wrist cuffs. They are of good workmanship and quality from what I can tell.

Bags + Camera Gear

I absolutey hate Camera straps with logos & names plastered over them - if they want me to billboard for them they should pay me to do it

My answer when the time comes is to make my own - something like a soft silk scarf in some nice butch colours would do me nicely & should be a sight more comfortable to wear

Anyone know where I can get the diy clips from?

Kyle, check out the Peak Designs offerings. They have a strap (leash) and wrist cuff that both work off of connectors that stay attached to your camera. I've only tried the wrist cuffs. They are of good workmanship and quality from what I can tell.

Bags + Camera Gear

+1

My perfect camera strap system for smaller cams (ie bit narrow for a DSLR, fine for pretty much anything in my sig)

Back