Single in January 2016, days 11-20 - How are you finding it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
...this is a continuation of the thread for participants to SiJ '16 to share, discuss, vent, rant, sympathise, cajole, consult, air, opine, appeal, declaim, chat and otherwise wibble about their SiJ journey.

We are a third of the way through - how is it working out for you?

It is NOT the place to post your picture-a-day; that's here.

Firstly, let me start by thanking all the feedback on my images.

Secondly, this year I've gone with a theme and it is making it easy to deliver one image per day, by having a specific thing to look for, instead of starting from scratch every single day.

My main challenge was to move away from focal distances I'm more used to, my mostly used lens is a 35mm equiv. So I've selected a 80-300mm zoom, but the balance of first 10 days is that I'm always close to the 80mm. Now I'll try to go further out of the comfort zone.

Last edited:
Well I've cracked to some extent in that I shot outside of my self imposed SIJ challenge restrictions today. Doesn't mean I won't keep posting under my set conditions but I was hoping to discipline myself to shooting with the same gear for the whole month.

As I expected, I'm not exactly happy with all of my output, but my "discipline" is okay so far. But I think that my main fear was rather justified: The 12mm is a nice lens with lots of potential, but essentially too wide for me. That doesn't mean I can't really use it - I just don't feel comfortable doing so. But it has been interesting, and I will try to get through the challenge; anyway, lots of good moments so far ... though I'm still not sure if I'll keep the lens in the end.

I'll also try to learn to shoot the E-PL7 a little differently - mainly, I want to find out the ideal viewing distance for the screen because I think I'm holding it too far away and generally handling it rather clumsily whenever I try to actually do things slowly and deliberately. I've got shooting from the hip (or in a quick sweep) with the 17mm f/1.8 pretty much down, but the 12mm is definitely a more demanding lens as far as framing and composition is concerned. I think I'll also do more manual focusing (with focus peaking) over the next couple of days. So, still a lot to try out and learn :)

M.

I missed day 10. Don't know if I can keep up now. But it was good to do those days even if that's the end, since I found this process more involving and rewarding than yet another flower or bird contest etc.

I've missed a couple of days, I generally tend not to pick up the camera unless there's some nice light of which there simply isn't at the moment. I really can't bring myself to keep posting dog pictures! Will try to come up with something else of the domestic nature later!

Could be worse... I am on a fitness drive, and have tried to "embed" SiJ into my "new habits". Problem is, there is not a lot that is photogenic on my 07:00 walk... That's why you are seeing a lot of cemetery action at the moment.

Haven't posted anything since Friday. I did take a few over the weekend, so hopefully will have one each to past for days 9 and 10. I forgot the camera home again today - so will be another night shot or 'staged' one today.

Regarding the equipment - this is my first real go with the x10. I love it's portability (when I do remember to pick it up), and the fact there is virtually no 'lag' between shots. I had taken this for granted until picking up a Sony Dsc-something compact over the weekend - the 1 or 2 seconds drove me insane. I'm mostly in EXR (S/N or auto) mode, so most of the shots are ~6 MPs. The macro mode has also proven useful - used in days 4 and 6 shots.

Just keeps raining here - torrential - and I need to get outside with my long lens and "bird" friend

Have a new portable hide, (blind), waiting to be used, but I wood get washed away

I have been an epic failure at keeping the letter of the law, ie., rules, for this challenge. First I changed equipment after several days shooting. Then, I just quit, ...for one day. Restarted with the OM 50, but decided that I did not want to shoot with it, ...or maybe nothing. So stuck the "broken" 14-42 back on, ...and just kept shooting. A lifetime of "seeing" something that needs to be recorded, just won't let me alone. So, I pick up the camera and, .... Feel free to ignore me.
It,s just contrary to who I am. Maybe I'm having an old life crisis! :hmmm:

I've taken my shots today however, there's been a power outage from 3pm and it seems most of Sydney is without power (having to use my phone to post this right now). Expected to be back on at some point tomorrow, so they'll be a block posting from me over the weekend. Hey, at least there's some charge left over in the camera battery for me to take some shots tomorrow.

I have been an epic failure at keeping the letter of the law, ie., rules, for this challenge. First I changed equipment after several days shooting. Then, I just quit, ...for one day. Restarted with the OM 50, but decided that I did not want to shoot with it, ...or maybe nothing. So stuck the "broken" 14-42 back on, ...and just kept shooting. A lifetime of "seeing" something that needs to be recorded, just won't let me alone. So, I pick up the camera and, .... Feel free to ignore me.
It,s just contrary to who I am. Maybe I'm having an old life crisis! :hmmm:
At least you're keeping a consistent theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back