P900 Oakwood and misc 043.JPG

P900 Oakwood and misc 024.JPG

P900 Oakwood and misc 008.JPG

P900 Oakwood and misc 003.JPG

P900 Oakwood and misc 033.JPG

All SOOC.

Cheers, Jock

Morning Jock

I hope that you do not mind but I thought that I would throw in a suggestion on how to make your really nice images "pop" a little.

I take a lot of wildlife and bird images and pp is quite important

If you use LR or PS just a couple of minutes will "improve" the look of your images, IMHO

here is an example - just basically setting the B & W points, little WB to get the squirrel grey, adding a little sharpness/clarity to the subject and background NR, (with small sensor cameras you are always fighting noise with such shots, especially when cropped significantly)

but only you can tell if the colours are "right"

vic_3.jpg

Last edited:
Morning Jock

I hope that you do not mind but I thought that I would throw in a suggestion on how to make your really nice images "pop" a little.

If you use LR or PS just a couple of minutes will "improve" the look of your images, IMHO

here is an example - just basically setting the B & W points, little WB to get the squirrel grey, adding a little sharpness/clarity to the subject and background NR, (with small sensor cameras you are always fighting noise with such shots, especially when cropped significantly)

vic_3.jpg

Bill,

Time for me to flaunt my ignorance: what does "setting the B&W points" mean?

BTW, none of the shots above is cropped at all.

Cheers, Jock

Jock,

here's a good explanation of setting black points

How To Set The Black Point | OutdoorPhotographer.com

Basically we tell the camera to expose the frame for an "average" correct exposure. But in real life, we have true blacks and true whites....... not just a bunch of middle tones. So the first thing one should do in post processing is for the photographer to correct the camera's "mistake" and add contrast back in by setting the points at which black is black and white is white. Sometimes that is all a photo needs, but usually it's just a step in the right direction.

and the way you love sky photography, you should watch this demonstration of setting b & w points....... especially at the 2 minute mark....... the difference of before and after might be enough to blow your mind with just that one change.

Jock,

here's a good explanation of setting black points

How To Set The Black Point | OutdoorPhotographer.com

Basically we tell the camera to expose the frame for an "average" correct exposure. But in real life, we have true blacks and true whites....... not just a bunch of middle tones. So the first thing one should do in post processing is for the photographer to correct the camera's "mistake" and add contrast back in by setting the points at which black is black and white is white. Sometimes that is all a photo needs, but usually it's just a step in the right direction.

I don't have PS or LR, but I have DXO9. So perhaps, from this:

P900 Oakwood and misc 024.JPG

To this:

P900 Oakwood and misc 024_DxO.jpg

??

Cheers, Jock

and the way you love sky photography, you should watch this demonstration of setting b & w points....... especially at the 2 minute mark....... the difference of before and after might be enough to blow your mind with just that one change.

I will definitely check that out. Thanks for thinking of my sky photography.

Cheers, Jock

I don't have PS or LR, but I have DXO9. So perhaps, from this:

To this:

You're on the right track there. I haven't used the DxO Optics software, but I'm sure they have a way to set black and white points.

I think if you keep in mind what we are trying to do with the software (bring back the full range of exposure values present in the scene, but unable to be captured by the camera) you will be good no matter how you go at it.

Morning Jock

vic_3.jpg

Seems like most of the change was reducing the redness and some sharpening. The end result though is this one has a little too much white and looks slightly washed out, particularly the tree.

Back