Ricoh New GR Digital rumor

Chris2500dk

Top Veteran
Some spec rumors on the coming GR Digital

Specifications of the new Ricoh Digital GR camera | Photo Rumors

16mp APS-C sensor from Pentax K5-IIs
28mm f2.8 lens, no stabilization
Size about as a GR1
Faster AF than Nikon Coolpix A (guess they already know what they're up against).
Price around $1000

So basicly it sounds like a Ricoh flavoured Nikon Coolpix A. I'm quite exited for this one, but the Nikon A sounds like a very good camera on it's own, so I think it'll be close between the two and with Fuji X100s and the Sigma DP Merrill cameras in the same pricerange it looks like we'll be spoiled for options!

That 1000$ price tag has me shaking my head. While loving my GRD IV for the brief time I tried it out.. I would not pay a grand on the next evolution of one. I'd get the X100S first if I had that kind of change lying around.

since they are saying it the sensor from the K-5iis, and not the K-5ii, should we assume no AA filter? Sounds good. If I were in the market for a compact, this would be on my radar. Luckily, I'm not. So maybe I can buy one in a couple years when they're $500.

Things are getting pretty crowded at the $1,000 pricepoint. Still, consider that the K-5iiS is $1,200 and comes with NO lens. I wonder if they will bring out another GR camera with a smaller sensor and a smaller pricetag.

Poor Ray.....another one to further murky the water for him.

Poor Ray.....another one to further murky the water for him.
Not exactly making me feel sorry for myself! If the announcement really comes late April and release is in May, I'm happy to wait and compare it with the Nikon. I recently bought the RX1 after shooting with it and the X100s. I can't afford the Nikon or the GR right now, but should be able to get one of them before we leave on a trip this summer. The Nikon is excellent. I'm not too concerned with AF speed at this focal length and I don't see that much difference in AF between the Coolpix A and the X100s anyway, so if it slots in there, good enough but not an issue. If the auto ISO works as well as the Nikon in all modes and the Ricoh interface stays pretty much intact, I may well go for the Ricoh. What I don't know is anything about that sensor and how it compares to the Nikon, but I'll be happy to give it a shot.

The other question is how good the snap focus implementation is. The GRD3 and GXR-28 are wonderful in this regard. The GRD4 had changed it so it was a lot harder to quickly change the focus distance - you either had to menu dive or use your three custom settings for three different distances. If its the earlier approach, it'll just come down to whether the sensor is as good as the Nikon. If they take the GRD4 approach, I'll go with the Nikon. I marginally like the rotary approach to zone focus better than the snap focus approach to begin with, but if snap focus is implemented well, I'm OK with either. This is sounding like a no-lose proposition to me. I already know the Nikon is great - if the Ricoh is better, wonderful! If not, also wonderful!

Although I also have to wonder about the future of Ricoh - Nikon isn't going anywhere, but I'm not as sure about Picoh / Rentax...

-Ray

Happy to hear about this rumor, a little disappointed that they didn't try to differentiate themselves from the coolpix by using a faster lens, viewfinder or stabilization, but i shouldn't complain to much. I'm looking forward to finally see this camera and hopefully they continue with the great UI tradition, can we wish for a 21mm and 40mm converter.

As many of you know, I'm a big Ricoh GR user. I love my GRD4 and have made many great photos with this (and prior my GRD3). For the past few years, the GRD has been my main (or only) camera that I have used for my social documentary work (indeed all of my photography).

I purchased a Sony RX1 last December (selling off my Pentax K5, lens, etc.) leaving me with just my RX1 and GRD4 as the only cameras I own. I have to say that, after a brief back-and-forth period of doubt, I have fully embraced the RX1 as my primary camera for all of my work. I won't go into details but it really is an excellent (although not perfect) camera.

I'm a bit let down though by the forthcoming announcement/release by Ricoh. I think if Ricoh had launched this camera at this time last year, it would have made a huge splash and would have been the camera to beat in the compact APS-C category. But now that category is getting filled up quickly. The Nikon A looks like a nicely implemented camera (again not perfect but what camera is). For just a few hundred dollars more than the new Ricoh, you can get a Fuji X100s (an excellent camera that I I would reconsider after a sour taste using a newly released X100 - prior to the firmware updates). The Sony RX1 is not in the same category (being a full-frame sensor compact) but it has shown everyone the future and it's just a matter of time before we start seeing more camera like this.

I'm not sure if I will bother purchasing the new Ricoh. It will be very different from the GRD4 (the smaller sensor, etc. gives us a different kind of photo and photo experience) so I don't see the new GR as part of an upgrade path from the GRD4. The GR will have to be spectacular in it's implementation of the features I know and love (e.g. snap focus, user interface, handling, etc.). Even so, as I'm looking for a compact APS-C camera to fill in my camera needs (small sensor - APS-C sensor - full-frame sensor), it will be a touch choice between the Fuji X100s and the GR (I can't believe I'm even saying that but there it is).

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The rumoured specs get even better:

The new Ricoh Digital GR camera to be announced next week (additional specifications available) | Photo Rumors

The new Ricoh GR will have a new processor called GR Engine 5.
Very fast and improved AF and start-up time.
No anti-aliasing (AA) filter.
High ISO up to 25,600
1080P at 30fps HD video recording capabilities with continuous AF (H.264 format).
Built-in stereo mic.
The 28mm f/2.8 lens is completely re-designed and will have a 9 blades aperture.
Ricoh will also offer a wide angle conversion lens (GW-3) with a 21mm focal length.
The new GR will be compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards.
The US price will be around $800.
Announcement is next week. Shipping should start in May, 2013.

On another forum, someone who claims to know a Ricoh distributor said that the announcement will come on April the 17th! That's only a few days from now!

At USD$800, that's a good $300 less than the Nikon A, and ought to produce equal image quality with even better performance, along with Ricoh's excellent user interface and ergonomics. I'm glad that I've held out for the GRD V! If the specs hold true, it will be like a GRD with an aps-c sensor inside it, and with no AA filter, to boot!

The ISO up to 25,600 doesn't mean much - many cameras do that today but the question is when does it stop being usable. The Nikon goes crazy high too but 6400 is the highest native ISO and as high as I'd go. None of those other newly leaked features me much to me except maybe the 21mm conversion lens (although I never liked the one for the GRD3 - too damn big for that camera) and the price. I'll be interested in seeing how well the snap focus feature is implemented relative to the last couple of GRD's and the GXR and how good the raw files are up to 6400. Other than those things, I have great faith I'll like it. But those remain to be seen.

So if its as good or better than the Nikon and costs $300 less, that's an easy choice. And if its not as good as the Nikon, that's an easy choice too, because the Nikon is great so whichever is the better of the two will be at least great and maybe greater...

Regardless, I'm looking forward to actually seeing the official specs and then getting my grubby little hands on one...

-Ray

Hopefully rumors are correct on the price and AA filter. Size comparison to the other smaller compacts:

Sony RX100 102x59x36mm
Nikon A 111x64x40mm
Ricoh GRIV 109x59x33mm

Exciting Little Camera, truly pocketable at 117x61x34.7
gr.jpg

An exciting video for ricoh fans! It looks like they left the camera mostly unchanged and have stayed with the GR heritage which was expected. The video doesn't show anything about the snap function implementation one can only hope that they have it sorted properly, the up dial I use on the GRD3 seems to have been replaced by a macro button... It doesn't seem as if it will accept an EVF, but all in all it looks like a great camera will be interesting to see how it compares to the Coolpix A, an even fight to the death or atleast my wallet.

I spied an HDMI outlet on the side along with one of my stupid little favorite ricoh features, the strap loop on the bottom on the camera which keeps the wrist strap away from the buttons and fingers on the top. I doubt i'll use the effects button as use mostly RAW but it's nice that it's on the side and doesn't clog up the main user functions. My wish for a 21mm and 40mm adapter is rumored to be half way true also :D

Not sure about Snap implementation, but at 1.38 there is a shot of the LCD with Snap function set at 1m.

The lens extends in only one section, making it stronger in build and faster to start. Classic GR styling means that it will have all the Ricoh ergonomics and handling that we love, and

The more I watch this, the more excited I get. This is the camera I wished that the GRD III had been, with an aps-c sensor and super fast responsiveness. When I was in Japan in 2010 I shot with the GRD III half the time, and the M9 the other half. While I like my GRD III images, I often think they would have been that much better with an aps-c sensor. Heck, this camera means that I can probably go back to a two camera combination! The M9 around my neck and the GR in my pocket! And it just might be the answer to my other thread, where I'm thinking about an every day pocket camera.

This camera is going to be the bomb! Soooo glad I didn't buy the Nikon A!

I'm just glad all of this came out when it did. My Nikon A was scheduled to go back by the end of this week. I was toying with spending the money and keeping it. But now it will go back on schedule, I'll get a copy of the GR whenever it becomes available and may the best camera (for my preferences) win. I'll buy one of them before I leave for a month long trip toward the end of June... I'm sure they'll both be really good - one of them already is...

But to me the BIGGEST question is how they'll implement changing snap focus distance. I actually prefer a rotary lens ring rather than discrete steps, but I like enough of the Ricoh interface that if they make it quick and easy to switch, I'll probably go that way (assuming it'll match the Nikon at 6400. But if they make you jump through hoops like with their most recent release (GRD4) to change the distance, there's nothing else they can do to make me buy this camera. Then it'll be a no-brainer for the Nikon. That move with the GRD4 is one I'll never understand. I don't know anyone who liked it - some were more willing to put up with it than others. I sent the camera back within days...

-Ray

Back