Sony Is the Original Sony RX100 Still Relevent?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Is the original RX100 still relevent? I'm looking around for something that's as pocketable as my Fuji XF1 but with more-reliable autofocus and better low-light ability. And Big Value is currently selling the Mark I on eBay for $384. Sure, I'd like the EVF and faster lens of the Mark III, but it's more than twice the money. It's also not quite as easily pants or shirt pocketable as the original. I don't use the XF1 all that often so perhaps the Mark III isn't worth it. But maybe the Mark III would cause me to use my pocketable camera more often. Any thoughts an whether the original RX100 still has a place?

Definetely still relevant. if you want a camera that size with a zoom lens the only way to get better is to get the mk2/3 or the Canon G7X. And the RX100 will take just as good pictures in most situations.

I had one and used it for a couple of years. I was very pleased with it. I only sold it out of a desire to try something new. I found that I did not use the zoom very much so moved on to the Coolpix A.

No, like all digital cameras it has a special chip that stops it taking good photographs as soon as a newer verion is released ...

Yes, I realize it still takes a good a photograph as it always did. :) It's a matter of whether it's a viable option given what's out there now. But the responses so far seem to back up what I was thinking.

The biggest criticism of the RX100 was that the lens got slow really quickly as you zoomed in. So if you live mostly on the wide and reserve the long end for outdoors, then it's still a viable option.

Refurbished ver II w/ tiltable screen/opt evf is selling for the same price...

I used ver I for 2 years and I used it more on the wide side which is faster side of the zoom. I got a used (like new) ver III last week from KEH with their last minute 10% sale. I went back to RX100 after my trials with g7x and LX100... I did a test yesterday but I haven't downloaded yet but it felt like it is the same af as ver I which I was happy with (not like g7x which backfocused with the macro/close range). I will check low light af if there is a change but I doubt it.

Adv of ver I
-Faster 28-35mm range and longer 100mm reach.
-Size is a little smaller due to built in lcd screen
-Cheaper.

Adv of ver III
-24mm reach and pretty much f2.8 zoom after that (28-70mm)...
- Tiltable screen w/ selfie mode
- EVF which is amazing, easily I can hand hold it at 1/10 sec at 70mm f2.8
-Same 1/30sec min at wide end, but auto ISO in M mode to adjust that
-Auto ND filter (you need it to shoot widen open in day light esp f1.8-2)

Mine came w/ extra battery and Sony grip which I prefer over the third party grips, since Franiec grip fell down from the ver I Asi-Akahi leather skin...

Downside for me is the warranty esp after 1st one failed after 2 years and the evf in the ver III might have a high chance of failing considering the mechanical movements it requires. I think KEH has short term warranty on the used equipment. So overall it is worth it for the price difference, but then when you look at the overall cost of RX100, it is a better deal with same sensor/body set up.

You can download Capture 1 to edit Sony raw images free of charge and pro Sony version is only $30 more...

Hopefully some other manufacturer will use the same 1" sensor, but with 4K video becoming popular I think some will stay with 12MP threshold until the 8K comes with the 2020 Olympics per Panasonic interview:)

I still use cameras that pre date it; Ricoh GX100, Lumix LX3, any camera except maybe some of the real budget specials of the last 5-6 years will take some great photographs with in their limitations and most importantly the photographers input. So if you think you will get some good use out of it and pleasure from it then it is highly relevant.

I remembered that Huff just bought one, of course it is the $1000 Hassy version:
Hasselblad Stellar Special Edition Video & Samples! | Steve Huff Photo
It is a VERY capable and beautiful camera. After snapping some images with it I was reminded how lovely the original RX100 renders an image (slightly different and more organic than the II and III).
UPDATE Dec 3rd 2014: Some stats..over the past three days nearly 30 of these have been sold from my link to B&H Photo here. This means that 30 of you bought one after reading this.

Funny as it is, RX100 I and II has the same lens and sensor...

Here is how to make the cheaper version of the Hassy: First, a leatherette skin from Aki-Asahi:
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/RX100/Leather/RX100_LeatherKit.php
& a wood grip
Amazon.com : Premium Wood Hand Grip for Sony RX100 and RX100M III and II by J.B. Camera Designs - Made in USA : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo
But I prefer the cheaper Sony grip
Amazon.com : Sony AGR2 Attachment Grip (Black) : Camera & Photo

I still have mine. It is by no stretch a "pleasure" to use, but it's super small, and I have never (not once, not ever) been disappointed with the results. I have not felt the need to move to mk ii or mk iii.

Back