Panasonic Panasonic DMC-FZ1000/FZ2500

So I took the plunge. Second hand/refurbs came up again at $499AUD (as opposed to RRP of $1199AUD, though they are selling between $899 and $999 at the moment)... So I ordered one and kept my fingers crossed that I would get a good copy. A few horror stories for some, apparently. I just reset mine to factory after a couple of OMG moments, and its all good now.

I've only had it for a couple of hours and have taken a few shots. Whats impressive...

1) Its as big and nearly as heavy as my K5 with the kit lens, but feels much better balanced so thats a relief.

2) The LCD screen isn't very big, but its lovely and bright.

3) The EVF is HUGE by comparison with other cameras I own and have owned. I believe its the same as the one in the GH4 and it really is stunning.

4) The zoom may only be 400mm equiv... but digital zoom takes it to 1600mm equiv!!!!! So I'll post a trio of shots of the truck across the road from me. I'm sure Brian won't mind :) bear in mind these are NOT full size shots, they have been resized to 1024, and they are JPG, not RAW, which would give one a lot to play with. As it is, I am pretty chuffed.

Shot 1: From the front of my house, through the tuckeroo, to the truck on the drive
truck25mm.jpg

Shot 2: 400mm, focussing on the headlamp
truck400mm.jpg

Shot 3: Digital zoom from 400-->1600 (according to the screen on the camera), again, focussing on the headlamp.
truck1600mm.jpg

Yes, there are artefacts... but I do believe that this camera may well be a suitable replacement for a multitude of my others. Just not yet. If ever. Different cameras for different reasons :)

Oh also, I have made no effort to do any editing (a rare event). These are JPGs SOOC, and resized for posting here.

Last edited:
I will. I managed to get a shot of a Rainbird at 400mm and then cropped it, but the crop was pretty awful (well, not really I guess but it wasn't even as good as what comes out of the P610)... So I thought I might head down to one of the ponds and try for a duck or two and see how they come out.

A couple of bird shots today, both are cropped and resized, but original shot was at that 1600mm. Some work, and many don't.

1) Australasian Grebe, nesting. I had to massage this one, a LOT.

View attachment 25721

2) Peewee. No idea what it's proper name is. It decided to leap just as I released the shutter. It had been fossicking about on the concrete.
View attachment 25722

From an IQ standpoint, the grebe shot looks a bit like the FZ200 pushed to the limit, but still acceptable, and here's the important part: you got the shot!

The peewee is very "decisive moment." Well done! Are you becoming the HCB of bird photography?

Cheers, Jock

From an IQ standpoint, the grebe shot looks a bit like the FZ200 pushed to the limit, but still acceptable, and here's the important part: you got the shot!

The peewee is very "decisive moment." Well done! Are you becoming the HCB of bird photography?

Cheers, Jock

LOL! HCB.. Nah, I think not.

Re the grebe. Yes. In spite of relative success with the digital zoom I think I'll probably be sticking to the P610 for birding and the FZ for almost everything else. Now that I played with the additional zoom I plan to switch it off.

Its always felt very well balanced, Steve, but for a while the arthritics were getting the better of me. I now have something called "arthritis gloves" which hold my hands, fingers, wrists firm without restricting movement and they are perfect for this. I may be able to get back to the DSLRs too, though not sure I want to, anymore :)

Its always felt very well balanced, Steve, but for a while the arthritics were getting the better of me. I now have something called "arthritis gloves" which hold my hands, fingers, wrists firm without restricting movement and they are perfect for this. I may be able to get back to the DSLRs too, though not sure I want to, anymore :)

That's excellent news!

Back