Canon Canon EOS-M Reviews

Adam Quek

Regular
Here are some reviews of the EOS-M:

LensRentals.com - EOS-M First Impressions
Love the shot of the EOS-M with the Sigma 800/5.8 IS attached in this one. Fairly candid review too about the slow AF and agree totally with the conclusion of the quality of the images being one of the best for a small sized camera.

Canon EOS M review: was Canon's first mirrorless ILC worth the four-year wait? -- Engadget
One of the first reviews available for EOS-M, Engadget did the review in the rather technical manner, focusing on specifications and battery life. It will be the typical kinda review you see on popular media anyway, with people asking who this camera is for.

Canon EOS M review | Digital slrs/hybrids Reviews | TechRadar
Another one of the typical technical review, focusing on specifications and build. And yes, the same olde early verdicts that sits right smack on the fence too.

I read the lensrentals review the other day. Good news about the sharpness of the native pancake and the zoom. I'm still adopting a wait-and-see approach with the EOS M. I do like the Canon "look" but I'm wary about going through the teething problems again that will happen with a brand new system.

Yesterday at camera store they had the GX1, G15 and M in a row in the middle, the row on the right was a 60 and 7, on the left was a 110 and some powershot. The M looked like it should have been over in the P&S section.

They are selling it here as a camera+1 lens or +2 lenses and a flash. I've never seen one on the street, which doesn't bode we'll considering my host nation citizens are camera crazy.

Ok I'm camera crazy too, I had money in my pocket literally and a shelf full of Canon stuff at the house that would work on the M no problem and I didn't buy one.....

I read the lensrentals review the other day. Good news about the sharpness of the native pancake and the zoom. I'm still adopting a wait-and-see approach with the EOS M. I do like the Canon "look" but I'm wary about going through the teething problems again that will happen with a brand new system.

I'm adopting a "wait-for-the-next-release" approach :)

I have a truck load of EOS lenses and three Canon dslr bodies but have not even looked at a M review other than to scan the first-look in increasing dismay. I have not upgraded my dslr bodies for some time simply because I have been waiting for Canon to grasp the nettle and bring out a professional level evf based EOS body. The M is not it and is the obvious precursor of a new series of "M" Mount glass. Sure you can use an adapter but one might wonder if this is the first step in Canon doing a dump on their customers like they did with the FD mount lenses when they switched to EOS EF? (probably more like this is Canon's answer to Nikon's interchangeable pocket wonder? ie: not an alternative to a dslr but deliberately down specified).
Users of Canon dslr gear need to know that their present collection of EF glass is not going to become obsolete with the dslr concept.
Surely an EOS body using evf is going to be as large as the flange back distance requires, but just make it capable and professional, it does not need to be tiny.
Of course the dslr will be around for some time but I don't need continuing commitment to regularly update camera bodies that are part of a type that is ultimately going to be obsoleted.
If my present bodies wear out then I might reconsider, but whilst they regularly and reliably continue to do their job (thanks Mr Canon) I see no need to buy another dslr body.

I ordered an EOS M last Wednesday and it arrived today from digitalrev (black body/22mm f2 w/eos adapter). At first blush it's nicer to hold in the hand than a J1 and about as good as a GF3/5 (comparable sized ILCS). Manual focus is decently well integrated on the 22mm and magnification (5x/10x) on the screen. The 22mm fly by wire manually focuses a bit eaasier and is a little better to me than the 20mm on an OM-D, which is my main body and lens combo at the moment. So far...looking at the 1st couple of files...the IQ (resolution and color rendering is pretty damn nice.

Just had a play with the EOS-M - all rather neat and P&S-like.
I thought that the focusing speed would be quicker than my G1 X but it felt much the same so quite a bit slower than m4/3.
Not for me.

Back