Leica what does everyone think about the X2?

krugorg

All-Pro
Name
Kyle Krug
In case you missed rumor control, they are saying Leica will announce a new X2 in May.

Leica X2 with 18MP sensor, new 50 Summicron costs $1000 more, Leica Monochrome with LCD screen | Leica News & Rumors

Not much to go on, but it sounds as if it would be an improved X1 (new sensor/processor), rather than a new compact system camera (CSC), which may be announced at Photokina.

It seems like the market has changed a lot since the X1 launched, with the X100 and then new CSCs released... a lot more options and competition now.

I am kind of intrigued with the whole idea of a large sensor stuffed into a small, fixed lens camera (i.e. size advantage of using a fixed lens). Something like a fixed version of Ricoh GXR, the X100, or a X2 that would be priced a bit more aggressively (okay, maybe that is a long shot), would be great to have as a compact carry. I think I would be up for this one, assuming that sensor performance was current and that they have made big strides on operational and focus speed.

Are you interested in the X2? Would it have a place in your current kit?

I'm an X100 user, so the X2 could be a camera for me...if it has a very good viewfinder (I can't imagine it having an hybrid viewfinder, but a high-end OVF or EVF like on the NEX-7 would work for me), a very good sensor (those 18MP are attractive, but only if the high iso IQ can keep up with the X100), an F2.0 lens (not the F2.8 lens of the X1), and an "affordable" price ($1500?).

So all in all it's a camera I'm rather excited to hear more about, but if it fits my needs I'm pretty sure the price will put it far out of my reach (I'd expect $2500+ if it has the specs I fantasized above).

I'm sure it'll be great ... but even if I didn't have too many cameras already, and had some spare money, I'd plump for the new Sigma DP1M (if it ever appears ...)

I'm an X100 user, so the X2 could be a camera for me...if it has a very good viewfinder (I can't imagine it having an hybrid viewfinder, but a high-end OVF or EVF like on the NEX-7 would work for me), a very good sensor (those 18MP are attractive, but only if the high iso IQ can keep up with the X100), an F2.0 lens (not the F2.8 lens of the X1), and an "affordable" price ($1500?).

So all in all it's a camera I'm rather excited to hear more about, but if it fits my needs I'm pretty sure the price will put it far out of my reach (I'd expect $2500+ if it has the specs I fantasized above).

I've never used one, but it seemed like the X1's OVF was a fairly elegant solution with the focus lock LED? Not sure how well it worked in practice. I also like the fact that when I picked one up, it felt good in my hands, and didn't appear that the reduced body height (since they didn't have a EVF) impacted handling in a bad way. With the retractable lens, it seemed a bit more pocketable than my E-P2 with 20/1.7.

I'm sure it'll be great ... but even if I didn't have too many cameras already, and had some spare money, I'd plump for the new Sigma DP1M (if it ever appears ...)

I forgot to mention the new Sigmas.... they look pretty great, especially for my landscape stuff.

Talking digital and fixed lens, then Leica will have to come some way to compete with the X100. Fuji has set the bar here IMHO, and it is high. Any manufacturers trying to corner this market segment need to better its IQ, ergonomics, control and handling - yep and I'm lumping the OVF/EVF into this equation. Otherwise the X2, and DP1/2 Merrill will struggle - well the latter also being debilitated by its cost :eek:

I also can't imagine Leica coming out with a X2 that would be better than the X100. Leica is just not a "cutting edge" type of company. If there's a company that believes in incremental improvements, that's Leica. While Leica has the smallest full frame camera in the M9, it is hardly cutting edge. Maybe I'll eat my words come May 10!

On the other hand, would anyone want to pay $2800 for a X2 with a 18 mp sensor and a Panasonic EVF? I'd imagine that it would have to be priced around $2800 (likely $2795) in light of the X1's $1995 price point. And the price would have to be even higher if Leica uses a faster lens than a 24 Elmarit.

I would be interested in a X2 with a decent viewfinder and Macro ability but not with a Prime Lens.

Now that I have an X1 and an X100 I can see how different the two cameras are.
Images from each are quite characteristic with the Leica cool smooth and very sharp and the Fuji images rich and creamy.
Neither is better than the other but if pushed I'd hang on to the Fuji because I'd argue that even with the SAB problem it's better made.

Updated rumors on the X2 announcement for Thursday.

> Probably with a new 16MP or 18MP sensor (I assume APS-C, not full frame).

> The new X2 is rumored to have a Summilux 35mm f/1.4 lens (the X1 had a 24mm Elmarit f/2.8 lens).

> The price is expected to be $1000 more than the current X1 (or around $3000).

> Update: the Leica X2 may have an optional EVF. Expected also: improved AF and better LCD screen.

Read more on LeicaRumors.com: What to expect from Leica next week: M9-M, X2, 50mm Cron, V-Lux 40 | Leica News & Rumors

I like the rumoured lens. Presumably colours and sharpness will be amazing . As to its price, my thoughts are best kept to myself.

My needs are currently satisfied by m4/3. I have two film Leicas; both precious jewels, not really working cameras in the sense that I can comfortably carry them about and use frequently. They have been put away. I want a camera I can use all the time without being terrified about damage, loss or insurance premiums. M 4/3 does this admirably.

I try to remind myself, often, of Atget. Wabi sabi must prevail.

I've said this before but once bitten, twice shy as far as I'm concerned. I think that IQ has come on in leaps and bounds since the X1 hit the market and the X2 would have to have a much better usability and fast focus to compete with the cameras that are around now. The only camera I've ever had to send back to the manufacturer has been the Leica X1 and I've read much about the problems with the Leicas in general. They don't seem to have yet mastered the digital aspect and when they do I'm sure that they'll be worth the money but at the moment I'm not holding my breathe! I'm giving them a wide berth for now (phew, cured?)

Using the same rubbish screen as the X1 on the back, what were they thinking? It's almost insulting!

For those of us with an X1 it's something of a non-event.

I'd been hoping for a short tele lens like that of the Canon G1X so that I could sell the Canon.
Instead we keep the same prime lens and all they seem to have done is to change the excellent Sony sensor and to add a Panasonic or Olympus viewfinder.
It rather a case of the Emporer's new clothes at a much inflated price. The new design seems to have as much to do with accountancy as it has with IQ improvements.

I shall keep my X1 ( greatly improved by Firmware v2.0 ) and now expect X1 used prices to rise as soon as the X2 becomes the only new model in town.

Meanwhile of course many of us have acquired the excellent Fuji X100 that produces images as good as the Leica at F2.8 albeit with a slightly different colour.

It is strange that the rear display is still only 230k resolution, when the accessory viewfinder is 1.4m. I wonder if this new Leica is the Panasonic LVF2 with new cosmetics, by the way?

I wonder if this new Leica is the Panasonic LVF2 with new cosmetics, by the way?

That seems to be the general view or Olympus I keep hearing.

Christilou mentions the problems with Leica Build and although we tend to moan about Fuji , Leica have an awful track record.
I went to buy an M9 at Harrisons in Sheffield when they first came out and couldn't believe how bad the black paint job was : that's how I ended up with an X1 some 2 months later.

The X1 started out by having dodgy battery covers that wouldn't sit flat , then the skin started peeling away and the pop up flash kept popping up when not wanted , finally users told of dust on the sensor sucked in by the movement of the lens. My own camera had to go back to Germany for a skin fix and came back as if nothing much had been done.
With this in mind I'm also very wary of buying anything Leica although their binoculars are wonderful!

That seems to be the general view or Olympus I keep hearing.

Christilou mentions the problems with Leica Build and although we tend to moan about Fuji , Leica have an awful track record.
I went to buy an M9 at Harrisons in Sheffield when they first came out and couldn't believe how bad the black paint job was : that's how I ended up with an X1 some 2 months later.

The X1 started out by having dodgy battery covers that wouldn't sit flat , then the skin started peeling away and the pop up flash kept popping up when not wanted , finally users told of dust on the sensor sucked in by the movement of the lens. My own camera had to go back to Germany for a skin fix and came back as if nothing much had been done.
With this in mind I'm also very wary of buying anything Leica although their binoculars are wonderful!

It is a bummer to hear that the X1 quality experience was not that great. Part of me was thinking, well, you are going to get a great lens, more reliable body, and have a higher resale value with the Leica. Even if the X2 were more reliable, though, you could buy still 2 X100s for the same price (assuming you got the viewfinder for the X2).

I wonder what the prices are going to be on the new Sigmas?

Come on, Ricoh/Pentax, I would buy a new GXR with the updated sensor.... Not sure if this would ever happen, but I would love a fixed 28mm GXR/GRD, with the latest APS-C sensor, and a built in viewfinder.

Back