Minox DCC-14 Image Thread.

D

dalethorn

Generally regarded as a toy camera, it's nonetheless a real camera, albeit fairly primitive with few controls and a sensor similar to an average cellphone. I liked the way the bushes in #1 popped out against the background, and while #2 is less focused in terms of composition, I thought the pre-sunset light on the foliage worked pretty well.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/600 handheld, ISO 200.
Mtpleasant_Park15_s.jpg

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/125 handheld, ISO 200.
Mtpleasant_Park14a_s.jpg

I got lucky with the clouds and all here...

image.jpg

And one of the local fishing gurus.. This could have been better for skin tone and texture, but was underexposed (can't control exposure with this camera).

image.jpg

I didn't think I could do this with the Minox, but I finally realized that sunlit 'scapes were a no-go along with low-light photos, and so when the light is evenly distributed, the little camera can actually capture detail.

f2.8, 1/30 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
image.jpg

I'm making progress at squeezing a better image quality out of this little camera....

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/15 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown34_s.jpg

A rare event in downtown Charleston - tearing a house down instead of restoring it.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown35_s.jpg

When I photographed this old stone church (now private residence) 5 years ago, there was a cannon on the roof, probably from the War Between the States ca. 1860-65. But the cannon has been removed, and I don't yet know why.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/50 handheld, ISO 200
Charleston_Church_Sullivans_Island01_s.jpg

I thought this harbor view might be too difficult for the Minox, but it worked OK in spite of some purple fringing.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/1300, ISO 200.
Charleston_Harbor17_s.jpg

Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston area - duty station for Edgar Allan Poe.

Summing up the Minox experience so far: The camera has a good coated lens inside, but the glass (UV filter?) in front of the lens is uncoated, which allows lots of flare. The sensor is probably similar to a cellphone sensor, and seems to produce images roughly equivalent to an iPhone 8 mp sensor (the Minox is 14 mp). The image format is JPEG only, but there is nothing like a modern JPEG engine in the Minox. I've found that I need good daylight, with no deep shadows or strong highlights - i.e. very evenly distributed light. In overcast light, the images show much more noise, even though the exposure values are essentially the same (f2.8, 1/xxx shutter speed, and ISO 200) as in sunlight or hazy sunlight. Direct sunlight is a no-go if there are deep shadows or bright highlights of significant size in the image.

All in all, highly recommended for practice in finding and using good light.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/320, ISO 200.
Charleston_Fort_Moultrie01_s.jpg

More Minox snaps - the second, of the hotel patio, had a peculiar blur around the edges, but not so much in the center. It's a scene I've tried with several 'real' cameras, and oddly the Minox made the first keeper.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/640 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Church_St_Philips02_s.jpg

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/6 sec. handheld/braced, ISO 200.
Charleston_Hotel_Meeting_St_Inn01_s.jpg

Doorway to multi-million dollar house, Charleston SC.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/10 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown36_s.jpg

Back