Ricoh Review: Ricoh GXR Camera with 28 and 50mm Lens-Sensor Modules

LOL no design awards? Actually the GXR received the Gold Award in the iF product design award 2011 for internationally outstanding design. :cool:

See: RICOH GXR received iF product design award 2011 - Gold Award « NEW CAMERA

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

I've always found the handling of my ricoh cameras excellent and very customisable. The GXR with A12 28 mm and P10 (28-300mm) is my travel light camera combo. A more compact A 50mm module would be welcome indeed.

Maybe now with the Ricoh-Pentax combined forces this concept could pick up. I can imagine that the GXR would become Pentax EVIL kit now. And Pentax has some very nice pancake lenses combine that with a GXR module, bingo? Market distribution (outside japan) is one of Ricoh's weaker points hope that this will improve now.

LOL no design awards? Actually the GXR received the Gold Award in the iF product design award 2011 for internationally outstanding design. :cool:

See: RICOH GXR received iF product design award 2011 - Gold Award « NEW CAMERA

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Well, whaddya know? :doh: To me, the GXR is like the Volvo of cameras: They're boxy, but somehow attractive, and oh so sturdy.

Thanks for the link, Remko, although I'm not sure whether the judges take into account beauty, or if they're just a bunch of engineers for whom functionality is the ultimate beauty. Either way, I wasn't trying to disparage the GXR; I take a practical approach to camera beauty: If it's ergonomic, then I don't care much what it looks like, and the GXR ergonomics are some of the best (as I hope I made clear in my review).

A timely and informative article, for which I am grateful, as I just bought a GXR, with A12 28, A12 50, and P10 units. It is a pleasure to us this camera. P10 imaging is merely OK. A12 imaging is fine. Two shortcomings that I have noticed: the pop-up flash cannot be with the A12 units as their barrels are so long that they cut some of the lght from the flash. The resulting images show a dark band on the bottom of the image. Second the VF2 viewfinder's resolution seems coarse and the colors are cartoony, garish. "Lensor" doesn't seem the right name for the A12 because it contains a lens, a shutter, and sensor. English doesn't have a word for this combination. How about "lenshor"? On second thought, maybe "unit," a Latin word for "a single thing," works just as well.

Back