Featured: 'Herons (some BIF) with Nikon V3 and 70-300CX' by The Smoking Camera

Are you shooting these maxed hard at 300mm?

Have you ever shot with MFT? If so, how do you think it compares for action shots?

Nathan, I usually start out maxed at 300mm but adjust as needed. I did shoot with an Olympus OMD-EM1 but only had the 12-40 zoom. I tried action shots in low light and it just wasn't fast or accurate enough for my needs. I never tried a longer lens or daylight action shots so I can't make a comparison. What I can say is the V3 70-300cx combo is pretty amazing for its size, reach and IQ in good light. As light goes down so does quality. Hope this helps.

Nathan, I usually start out maxed at 300mm but adjust as needed. I did shoot with an Olympus OMD-EM1 but only had the 12-40 zoom. I tried action shots in low light and it just wasn't fast or accurate enough for my needs. I never tried a longer lens or daylight action shots so I can't make a comparison. What I can say is the V3 70-300cx combo is pretty amazing for its size, reach and IQ in good light. As light goes down so does quality. Hope this helps.

Well, I clearly need to try the Nikon once it finally starts shipping again.

I've been shooting animals (mostly birds, but one safari) with a OMD-EM-5 and the Panny 100-300 native zoom. Except when things are moving (eg BIF) it's entirely manageable and maybe as my technique gets better even BIF is less challenging. But based on what I'm seeing using just the 10-100 native zoom on the Nikon 1V1 I am thinking that the 1 system may prove better for me.

Was sort of hoping you'd say "naw, MFT was just as capable"! That wouldn't have dissuaded me necessarily but would have made the burden of proof even higher....

If I was already a Nikon shooter I'd probably not be looking for an excuse to avoid the 1 system.

Just noticed your comment above serhan.
Thanks for the shout out.
This morning saw this juvenile heron near the beach.
Managed to get close enough to get a couple of photos.
First at 150mm (400), the second at 300mm (800).

p337412134-5.jpg

p26701652-5.jpg

Back