Pentax No love for the Pentax MX-1

Ha! Mark, you've just saved yourself a "for sale, camera with <100 clicks" add in a year or so. If you're not that into zooms, you'll hardly be into zooms attached to a limited sensor. I gotta admit though: I really, really like the look of the MX1. It made the top of my shortlist when I was shopping for a zoomcamera to add to my primes only set. The RX100 won, since it fits in my jeans without a problem and has a better sensor. If only it was a bit less menu driven.

I think Mark just wanted a little "Brass in Pocket". Here you go, mate.....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-7Hy7uAb_eU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think Mark just wanted a little "Brass in Pocket". Here you go, mate.....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-7Hy7uAb_eU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This song was, is and will forever be great! Now I have it attached to a camera. Thanks brother...

Either I'm misreading Rajiv's post or I disagree.

To me the camera size and the sensor size are different discussions.

I love the IQ of the RX100 and for me, it is the new benchmark for minimum performance that personally satisfies me. But for me, I'm totally fine with the camera being bigger.

Tiny cameras don't interest me. The only small camera that has ever really felt good in my hand is the GR. I prefer my cameras to be closer in size to the X100. I think the MX-1 is a good sized camera, but I would just want a bigger sensor in there.....the one from the RX100 would be fine. And I understand the lens would need to be either bigger or slower or have a shorter zoom range. I'm ready to accept those limitations.

Exactly what I meant as well Luke. The RX100 showed that a small body does not necessarily mean having to do make do with a tiny sensor. I sold off mine because I couldn't live with the way it handled. There are a number of APSC sensors on the market in very small packages as well, there are just no compelling reasons left to opt for a small sensor camera.

I might be cured of the desire for the MX-1....for now. If one comes up cheap on clearance I'm not necessarily going to account for my re-actions :blush:. I have to say though that I really like their idea of bringing back the brass body (well top and bottom plates). I know retro is all the go right now, but that's mainly down to styling and the faux-look. But this is the genuine material. I don't so much like the idea of buying used, but a new brass camera has something of the charm about it, it ages like we do (well hopefully more gracefully than me), shows the scars of battle. There is something about this that I hope other manufacturers might pick up on. Hmmm...like a black Fuji x100b (yeah 'b' for brass). Oh yeah...

It definitely fits my definition of a "Serious Compact".
About the sensor size...that's a tough one. We'll have to see where the 1 inch and 2/3 inch sensors go with compacts (fixed lens, the only "true" compacts) ;):tongue::D

Let me pour some oil in this fire :)
Woot.com is currently selling the Pentax MX-1 for 249$ + 5$ shipping. (There was a similar deal a few days ago, which has expired. But if you go to their main page, there is a link to some camera deals (until Oct 29th) where it is still available.)

As to the comparison against the Sony RX100: I had a quick play with dpreview's studio comparison tool ( Pentax MX-1 ) and the difference wasn't as big as I expected.
Yes, the RX100 has a higher pixel count, but the Pentax makes up for that with a better lens. Looking at the image corners the Pentax looks better to me. But even the fabric in the center compares really well...

EDIT: just saw the post in the "Deals"-forum... guess I'm behind the curve as usual :)

P8190001.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sweaty hands + hand sanitizer = brassing already =]

Back