Camera testing going on here; comments and suggestions need

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Two sets of pictures, both shot in P mode, straight out of camera jpegs

Camera A:

camera_a_test_006_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Camera B:

camera_b_test_010_Medium_.JPG

Camera A:

camera_a_test_007_Medium_.JPG

Camera B:

camera_b_test_011_Medium_.JPG

Camera A:

camera_a_test_003_Medium_.JPG

Camera B:

camera_b_test_005_Medium_.JPG

Camera A:

camera_a_test_008_Medium_.JPG

Camera B

camera_b_test_013_Medium_.JPG

So, which camera do you prefer?

And, also, any suggestions for comparison images to shoot for additional evaluation?

Cheers, Jock

Overall, camera B. Better microcontrast, better highlight retention.

None of the images are all that 'enticing' to me; flat lighting, dull colors in most. As for what images would be best, depends on what kind of images you like/plan to take with the cameras in question. For me, my 'torture tests' are high-contrast scenes (landscapes in strong sunlight, sunsets) and low-light situations (people shots in natural low light, ISO 1600-3200.

Almost impossible

but from the images

Camera B except for the last image which must be one stop wider than B

But B seems half a stop wider than A in the next to the last set

so confusing

Overall, camera B. Better microcontrast, better highlight retention.

None of the images are all that 'enticing' to me; flat lighting, dull colors in most. As for what images would be best, depends on what kind of images you like/plan to take with the cameras in question. For me, my 'torture tests' are high-contrast scenes (landscapes in strong sunlight, sunsets) and low-light situations (people shots in natural low light, ISO 1600-3200.

How about these for a little bit of a torture test:

Camera A:

camera_a_test_010_Medium_.JPG

Camera B:

camera_b_test_018_Medium_.JPG

Cheers, Jock

If I have this straight from another post, A is the Canon G12 and B is the new G1XmkII.

I'm glad Jock has posted these comparos. Not doing much for my desire to buy that new Canon though.

Thanks for all the comparison shots, but now that the G1XmkII is out, there seems to be way too many issues with it. I got an Olympus XZ-2 and saved $500 and probably a lot of aggravation and the images I'm taking look just as good as what I've seen from the G1XmkII. Right now, I think the XZ-2 is the best bang for the buck P&S you can get for less than $300. The G1XmkII and the RX100mkIII just don't check all my boxes, so I'm looking forward to the rumored Fuji X30 and Nikon P8000. I don't want a big heavy camera without an EVF and obsolete low resolution sensor or a tiny bar of soap style camera with a very limited zoom range. If the X30 or P8000 do ever materialize, have the handling, specs and match the IQ of the RX100mkIII, I will get one of them and make the ZX-2 my backup camera.

snapshotrepublic.com

In the first round of pictures, I prefer B to A on every one. Slightly more contrast - maybe intensity - maybe even 'pop'. I know these terms are occasionally associated with the notion of 'micro contrast' as well. In the second round - the young man sitting at the desk with headphones on - I couldn't tell the difference, both were equal.

BUT....

And it's a big 'but' for me you mention they were both shot on P, with in-camera JPEG processing. Well, as we all know, the processing engines of different cameras - can create a world of tiny differences among themselves. In one camera's 'standard' setting, the JPEG colors may be brighter, corresponding more closely to another camera's 'vivid' setting. People for years talked about Olympus having better SOOC JPEG's than Panasonic, though that seems to have changed with the latest generation of Panasonic sensors, at least the ones in the GX7 and GH4, which now seem to be more on a 'par' with the Olympus JPEG's. And Fuji aficionados swear by the intensity of different in-camera JPEG settings.

So coming back to your camera A vs camera B - if both were shooting RAW, I'm guessing the files would be closer to identical. And as we know, any file can be tweaked in Lightroom or a variety of ways on one's computer.

If it was me, solely based on this A vs B tests - I'd go for B, hands-down, and never look back.

But something tells me maybe it's not that simple :)

Back