I think its time for a NAS

I might RAID and I do want my stuff available over the network without necessarily needing to have a computer on. I've recently discovered the real joys of having a jailbroken appleTV, as well as using the same photo database for the iMac and the MBP... but the external drive is attached to the iMac so it has to be on all the time, for all of that. A NAS would be better, methinks.

So far I have only really looked at Synology. More particularly this unit, which can go to 8TB, but perhaps theres something better?

Anyone else using, and got suggestions? I think 2x2TB will be plenty in terms of storage, and it has to like working with my macs, and occasionally with Linux and Windows as well.

Hey, Sue. I have had a ReadyNAS in the past and I am now using QNAP, which I like quite a lot. I have heard good things about Synology, but have not used one myself. I did find the following article, which compares them, though, mostly from a small business perspective. It sounds as if Synology may be a bit more focused on ease of setup and support with a home use focus.

Thanks for responding, Kyle. I think I'm going to end up taking the very cheapest option which is a little synology into which you can plug a couple of external drives. I already have 2x2TB so may as well use those.

Link to the article you mentioned? Before I hit the CC?

Back