News Leica Q Type 116 Leaked Image, Specs

If what I see in the last 2 images - a body shape just like an M camera, I dunno. Maybe that will sell, but why I don't know. I think older (i.e. the "old Leica" X1 shape) or a newer body design would be better.

I missed this earlier. The shape is the best thing about this camera so far, at least for me. After 25 years of using Ms I can tell you that in my experience there is nothing - absolutely nothing - that fits the hand better. My concern about the Q is that they have the rounded ends, but the body overall isn't as wide, so it may not in fact fit the hand quite so well.

The image diagonal of a half-frame film was 30mm - for a 35mm film it was ~43mm (-> Sigma DP2M is not so bad here) but most commonly the 50mm was the normal lens.
And I have a few legacy lenses with 45mm till 58mm which were considered as normal (there are a lot of 55mm/1.8 lenses for analog cameras).

The problem with 28mm could be that it was between the more common 24mm and 35mm and only differs slightly from the angle of view (nevertheless I like my 28mm/2.8 Distagon c/y).

One thing that Leica is doing that I've never seen from anyone else that I REALLY like is the MF/AF interface on their latest cameras. They did it first on the X-Vario I think, do the same thing on the X-113, and looks like they're doing the same thing on this new Q-116. Having a mechanical feeling AF lens complete with distance and DOF scale and then an "AF" setting out past the infinity focus mark is just brilliant. I like it at least as much as the clutch rings used by Olympus and Fuji on select lenses and really more than just about any other approach other than the mechanical DSLR lenses with an MF override always available. Using back button AF lets you switch between AF and MF at will at any time on a DSLR. But short of that, I think this approach is brilliant, always letting you see where you are, just turn the lens a little farther than infinity for AF, and then back to any given distance or for critical focus. I'm sure that, like the Olympus and Fuji lenses, it's actually a "by wire" mechanism, but if they do a good job of faking a mechanical feel with end stops and a distance scale, I'm happy. To me, this would be a pretty major improvement over the RX1 or almost any other compact I've used...

-Ray

Last edited:
One thing that Leica is doing that I've never seen from anyone else that I REALLY like is the MF/AF interface on their latest cameras. They did it first on the X-Vario I think, do the same thing on the X-113, and looks like they're doing the same thing on this new Q-116. Having a mechanical feeling AF lens complete with distance and DOF scale and then an "AF" setting out past the infinity focus mark is just brilliant. I like it at least as much as the clutch rings used by Olympus and Fuji on select lenses and really more than just about any other approach other than the mechanical DSLR lenses with an MF override always available. Using back button AF lets you switch between AF and MF at will at any time on a DSLR. But short of that, I think this approach is brilliant, always letting you see where you are, just turn the lens a little farther than infinity for AF, and then back to any given distance or for critical focus. I'm sure that, like the Olympus and Fuji lenses, it's actually a "by wire" mechanism, but if they do a good job of faking a mechanical feel with end stops and a distance scale, I'm happy. To me, this would be a pretty major improvement over the RX1 or almost any other compact I've used...

Totally agreed. I was surprised how well the X Vario and X113 seemed to manage focus-by-wire. It is very, very close to a manual focus lens. The Oly lenses with snap rings are very close, too. And the ability to click from AF to MF continuously on the lens is an innovation no other manufacturer has done.

But if I could reasonably afford it, I'd buy it in a NY minute and would carry it exclusively a lot of the time. I'd buy it before any combinations of GRs and Merrills and RX1s, although I think the RX1 is likely its equal. But apparently this Leica will have a focal length and 3-4 very key features that would likely make it a much better fit for me than even the beloved RX1. And the RX1 was MUCH beloved, so I don't say that lightly!

-Ray

I think you miss my point Ray, I don't think the Leica will be worth it to - me - , 2 x RX1 or 8 Merrills and hence I won't be buying it, (even if the price drops). - I - would rather the "mix" for less money.
I can't see its IQ being any better than whats available but I will have a look when samples come out for academic reasons only. I might read a user report but probably a waste of my time as I can't justify its price.
Of course your arguments work for you, not me. I hope those "key" features are worth the extra cost to you.

If the cameras I mention arn't up to the task I'll just have to work harder or adapt to my gear more to get the image.

Oddly, this is one of the few Leica that has actually interested me. Big sensor, fabulous EVF, nice size. It's like a much better version of the Coolpix A for 10 times the price. The A convinced me of the usefulness of this kind of camera, and if I had the money I might be tempted.

Full frame...
28mm focal length...
Viewfinder....

Ray, you gonna get this?:cool:
Well, if I start saving now, maybe my savings and the used prices will intersect sometime around 2020 or so. So, no, probably not... At least not soon. Luke is more optimistic, aiming for 2019, so maybe I'll be good by then too...

But I've gotta say, I've NEVER lusted after a Leica before. I'll lust over this one, even if that lust goes unrequited...

-Ray

Last edited:
I think you miss my point Ray, I don't think the Leica will be worth it to - me - , 2 x RX1 or 8 Merrills and hence I won't be buying it, (even if the price drops). - I - would rather the "mix" for less money.
I can't see its IQ being any better than whats available but I will have a look when samples come out for academic reasons only. I might read a user report but probably a waste of my time as I can't justify its price.
Of course your arguments work for you, not me. I hope those "key" features are worth the extra cost to you.

If the cameras I mention arn't up to the task I'll just have to work harder or adapt to my gear more to get the image.
Probably did miss your point. It's not that my arguments work for me - this CAMERA would work for me. I know my preferences really well by now. I know what features matter to me and which don't and this one has all the ones I care about, and probably several I don't care about. Nonetheless, I just don't have that kind of scratch floating around, the Coolpix A does the same things probably 90% as well, the Df with the right lens probably does it every bit as well with a bit of a size/weight penalty, and I HAVE both of those cameras. So I'll enjoy this one from the sidelines, much as I might like to be in the game...

Anyway, happy shooting with whatever combination of gear floats your boat.

-Ray

Back