Sony Sony RX1 / RX1R - Max depth of field

adam

Regular
Name
Adam
I plan to shoot landscapes with the RX1 / RX1R. As such I wish to achieve maximum depth of field. I realise that small apertures are the key but I don't wish to use above F8 / F11.

Are there any accurate and reliable depth of field scales that I source for the RX1 / RX1R ?
What methods do you use to achieve max depth of field for the RX1 / RX1R ?

Thank you kindly,

Adam.

^^

For landscape type stuff on the RX1, I go back and forth between focusing 1/3 of the way into the scene and remembering the hyperlocal distance thing (and then going to the DoF calculator Luke mentioned) and then trying to focus 5-7 meters out. For my needs, with either method, f8 usually gives me enough DoF. I suppose I would need to stop down more if I had something in the near foreground where I wanted to show a lot of detail.

Also, focus stacking is an option. That technique is most often done in the world pf photomacrography, but you can use the same principles for non macro work. Especially if you're using a tripod. Take a shot where everything from 20 ft. - infinity is in focus, then adjust your focus for the foreground and shoot another one and combine in post.

Back