News New king of the superzooms .....

For those who can't get enough, here's dpreview's early look: A closer look at the Nikon Coolpix P900 megazoom

The sheer size of this camera is getting into the realm where I might not be happy trying to carry it as often as possible:
Camera front.JPG

camera top.JPG

And just to put it into perspective, the FZ200 and P900 next to a Canon SL1 with the Sigma 150-500 attached:

perspective.JPG

Cheers, Jock

Last edited:
The sheer size of this camera is getting into the realm where I might not be happy trying to carry it as often as possible:
View attachment 22899

View attachment 22900

And just to put it into perspective, the FZ200 and P900 next to a Canon SL1 with the Sigma 150-500 attached:

View attachment 22901

Cheers, Jock[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, Jock. I had previously thought it looked too small and fiddly from the still promotional photos. For me, I prefer a bigger body for ease of handling. To me, size becomes more of an issue when it is HEAVY......and a bridge camera is just never heavy compared to a DSLR with a big quality lens. But I know there are many here who like 'em small.

I'm another one who thinks weight is much more important than size with bridge cameras like this. Size is a moot point because none of them will ever fit in a pocket. You're going to have to put any of them in some kind of bag or wear it around your neck. But weight is a major consideration. I kind of like a bit of heft. I don't like cameras that feel like hollow pieces of light plastic and some weight adds a feeling of quality and helps stabilize the camera. But I don't want so much weight that hauling it around all day becomes an issue. However, I wish every single bridge camera had weather resistance.

I'm another one who thinks weight is much more important than size with bridge cameras like this. Size is a moot point because none of them will ever fit in a pocket. You're going to have to put any of them in some kind of bag or wear it around your neck. But weight is a major consideration. I kind of like a bit of heft. I don't like cameras that feel like hollow pieces of light plastic and some weight adds a feeling of quality and helps stabilize the camera. But I don't want so much weight that hauling it around all day becomes an issue. However, I wish every single bridge camera had weather resistance.
I'm with you there -- I wish every bridge camera had weather resistance.

According to the specs, the FZ200 weigh about 1.5 pounds and the P900 about two pounds.

Bulk matters to me because I tend to sling my camera bag/pouch cross body so that it hangs at my hip. I don't like it to stick out too far when it hangs there.

Cheers, Jock

Weigh is a huge consideration for me, but I have just discovered a few days ago, that its also about balance. I expected, when I went hands on with a FZ1000, to find that it would be too heavy for me. It weighs about the same as a k5 with kit zoom, which sometimes I find too heavy. But the balance is perfect. I'd want to go hands on before making a decision based on size. its how it actually feels in the hand (well, I won't be going to an 83x at all, but you know what I mean... I hope)

Back