Apple Ticked at Apple

Reminds me of when my toshiba tablet was updated from Honeycomb Android to ICS. The tablet became unusable. It was mostly due to Toshiba's build of the OS. The same hardware on an ASUS had no problem running their version of ICS. I ended up ditching my Toshiba tablet for an ASUS Android tablet. The way the updates on my toshiba device were set up, there was no choice not to do the update.

Funny Fuji and Ricoh does firmwares to improve performance on their cameras even 'old ones' (for todays standards of 'old'), Apple and others do firmwares to actually kill the gear and make you obsolete every 3 months or so. But again, Sony and Olympus release cameras quite a few times a year with very MINOR upgrades on the cameras.

Like Luke said is planned obsolescence and I personally hate that. Back in the day camera manufacturers would promote their a camera to last a lifetime and we still can use them now. Good luck with any of the new ones in 10 years time. 16 mega what? no wifi?...geeze how people could shoot that way.

As a software engineer, what I've learned is that one has to charge for hardware, software, or both.

Is Olympus going to make money by maintaining software on cameras for years and years? No.

The company I work for runs into this all the time. Customer has a 6 year old device and they want an update to fix a bug. Or they want a new feature added. We aren't going to make money off of that fix or feature.

On the flip side, we use a ton of different software tools. We pay a yearly fee for updates. Would people be OK with Olympus charging a yearly fee for camera updates?

A camera is a single purpose device. A computer, smartphone, or tablet are different things entirely. Much more complex, so you're kind of comparing Apple with…oranges?

If the ASIC Olympus has doesn't have the capability for a certain fix or feature, I'll buy that. But in many cases I think the ASIC is fully capable, its just the way they want to make their money is on the next iteration with that feature. For example, my E-PL5 doesn't automatically do HDR or 3/5 shot exposure blend in JPEG. The camera came out when most every other camera could do that, including some cheapie 99 dollar cameras.

I don't upgrade either because each is iteration makes the device that much slower.

In other news apple will be installing Beats music with the next upgrade. Every phone gets a thug installed for free!

I presume one still has to subscribe to the service - they're just integrating the app into iTunes or something? We've been using Beats music instead of Spotify (almost identical functionality and music selection) because as ATT phone plan holders, it's only $15/month for the family. I guess it would be cool it if was integrated into iTunes, if only so I could tell Siri to play something from it when I'm in the car, rather than be limited to my extremely small onboard iTunes library. But the vast majority of the time I'm listening to Beats through Sonos, with the Sonos app serving as the front end, so I don't think integrating it into iTunes will mean a lot to me except for the occasional road trip, where i could see it being pretty functional...

-Ray

Excuse me - could all those on the "Ticked off with Apple" bench please budge up a bit?

I thought I had seen the last of Apple's insidious, pernicious ways years ago when I escaped from the "garden" but I lent out an SD card to be used to get some files from a Mac to a printer yesterday. Today I found a "Trashes" folder on there that was the very devil to get rid of.

Bah...

Excuse me - could all those on the "Ticked off with Apple" bench please budge up a bit?

I thought I had seen the last of Apple's insidious, pernicious ways years ago when I escaped from the "garden" but I lent out an SD card to be used to get some files from a Mac to a printer yesterday. Today I found a "Trashes" folder on there that was the very devil to get rid of.

Bah...

There's an app for that. LOL!

Apple IIe was my first computer - I was just finishing college and figured it would be a good thing to get familiar with. First time I sorted a database, ran a spreadsheet, and typed a paper on it I immediately GOT it - I'd really sort of wondered what the point was prior to that, since my only earlier exposure had been learning briefly about punch-cards. 2-3 years later I was doing a full installation of Mac Pluses at the firm I was working for and very shortly thereafter had to decide whether to stay with the field I'd been learning or veer off into the IT world. Wasn't an easy call, but I decided to stick with the public policy stuff and let other's take over the IT world and quickly got out of the weeds and became a doddering end user, which I remain to this day. For which I've been forever grateful. I've gone back and forth between Mac and Windows a couple of times over the years, but I'm firmly entrenched in the Apple camp now. I know the tradeoffs and the limits, but I got sooooooo damn sick of having to deal with viruses and mallware and stuff - that alone is reason enough for me to stay put at this point. And there are a few other benefits with it as well.

I managed to avoid the entire "gaming" thing though. I remember playing Pong when it first showed up in the '70s and thinking it was pretty cool, but then as they got more and more complex I just totally lost interest. I play cribbage and solitaire and occasionally chess on my ipad and that's about it for me and games. And those aren't computer games, just games you can play on one.

I have an iPhone 6+ on the way, supposed to get here tomorrow - I'm pretty psyched for the real estate and suspect my iPad mini is gonna see a LOT less use. But time will tell.

-Ray

I have an iPhone 6+ on the way, supposed to get here tomorrow - I'm pretty psyched for the real estate and suspect my iPad mini is gonna see a LOT less use. But time will tell.

-Ray

Colour me envious. I really wanted one, but after I found I could not use it one handed (I read at night in bed before sleep and need to do that) and then fumbled it (I also fumbled the 6 which seemed like a good upgrade from my 4S) I went home with a 5S. :( Still have my mini. But, after selling my iPad3 last week, I'm up for an Air2. I do seem to so a surprising amount of editing of photos on iPad, didnt think I'd miss the larger screen size and oh boy, I do!! Air2 this week or next.

Colour me envious. I really wanted one, but after I found I could not use it one handed (I read at night in bed before sleep and need to do that) and then fumbled it (I also fumbled the 6 which seemed like a good upgrade from my 4S) I went home with a 5S. :( Still have my mini. But, after selling my iPad3 last week, I'm up for an Air2. I do seem to so a surprising amount of editing of photos on iPad, didnt think I'd miss the larger screen size and oh boy, I do!! Air2 this week or next.

Before I had a laptop, I had a full size ipad and did a lot of editing on that too, when I was traveling. But I got a laptop and replaced the full size ipad with a mini, which I like better for almost everything other than photo editing. And for the stuff I use it for, I think the 6+ may do the job just as well as the mini. I've played around with one and it's comfortable enough in my looser pockets, which is about all I use these days.

And I have big mitts, so I can do basic stuff like phone calls one handed and I'm happy to use both hands for lots of other uses. It'll probably steal a lot of time from my Kindle too, which I'll just use outdoors at the beach and stuff where glare is a real issue on a backlit screen...

-Ray

It'll probably steal a lot of time from my Kindle too, which I'll just use outdoors at the beach and stuff where glare is a real issue on a backlit screen...

-Ray

My Sony PRS650 and Kobo Glo never get used. I bought them (at different times of course) because I had this idea that I would read on those instead of my phone. I've never managed to make the switch, So I gave up. They are going up for sale this week, along with a netbook I never use.

I'm seriously considering getting another Macbook, but this time with the retina screen (I found the 13" non retina most unsatisfying for edits) but... heck... I can go get an Air2 today. A macbook would be quite some time off, even a refurb. I was going to go 128GB but have realised that 64GB will do just as well. I've never carried (or tried to) all my photographs on my iPads (at 16GB nope), no point in starting now. There are some editing apps I miss using... and the mini just will not do. I'm finding it frustrating trying to use it for all the things I used to use the big iPad for. I suspect it will be sold off soon after I get the new Air, anyway. I tend to use the phone more than the mini at other times, in any case.

Just an FYI... I just installed iOS 8.1.1 (which Apple quietly released last week) on my iPad 2. It didn't break anything and it seems like it's a slight improvement over 8.1. I'll install it on my iPhone 4S next. According to ARS Technica, a full-on iOS 8.2 is due early in 2015. But I suspect the real answer is going to be an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6.

Back