Apple Apple Aperture users - rumor about it being discontinued

Not shocking I guess. Sort of a drag just to maintain some level of semi-serious competition for Lightroom. OTOH, I was an Aperture user for a couple of years before switching in 2012 - there were things I liked better about Aperture but Lightroom was just considerably better at most of the stuff that mattered most to me. I always sort of held out the possibility of switching back if Apple upgraded, but so far, Lightroom has stayed well ahead, so I haven't been tempted. Now I guess it's moot - and I'm glad I switched back then by choice rather than in the near future under duress...

-Ray

I switched to LR from Aperture 1.5 years ago when I took delivery of my Leica M-E as LR came with the camera. Plus Leica works directly with Adobe on lens profiles and Leica RAW files are saved in camera as DNGs.

I hate cloud based apps...let alone cloud based storage of your photos maybe great for centralization and reliable storage, but after u use up your free storage limit, whether we are talking google, adobe or this case apple... U are going to pay a monthly fee. Then depending on the connection u have, the latency between your computer and the cloud based storage.

At least they promised one more update to aperture when the next is is released.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

I hate cloud based apps..whether we are talking google, adobe or this case apple... U are going to pay a monthly fee.

It is still possible to purchase LR for a one-off fee without being tied into CC, but you have to know where to look on the Adobe website. They have made it difficult to find through the obvious routes, but it is there.

Rather than follow the obvious purchase links that push you to the CC-only pges, instead go from the bottom of the adobe.com front page - products/lightroom/buy.

Oh I couldn't agree more.
When the subscription model was first introduced, I suggested in a discussion here at SC that it was only a matter of time before LR was subsumed into it, but that was completely dismissed by others: "Adobe will never do that" ...

well, I'm pleased that one still can buy it without CC, but it really is only a matter of time now.

It is still possible to purchase LR for a one-off fee without being tied into CC, but you have to know where to look on the Adobe website. They have made it difficult to find through the obvious routes, but it is there.

Rather than follow the obvious purchase links that push you to the CC-only pges, instead go from the bottom of the adobe.com front page - products/lightroom/buy.

Slight misunderstanding here.. I was referring to the proposed new apple photo approach where the images are suppose to be stored on their cloud servers. U get so much free space by default.. It will run out fast.... Haven't figured out yet if they allow one to leave all the images on your local mac. There is an inference of apple wanting the complete experience to be cloud based. Yuck... :( next bad is the subscription service models such as adobe's.

I will start transitioning aperture libraries to external ones. Right now I plan to stay w/ aperture..but I will be looking for something different... Just not sure what yet.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

I'm not doing anything until Photo actually launches and I can get a good look at how it works and what the storage options are. If it handles raw conversions well enough, image editing is better than iPhoto and cloud storage isn't mandatory, I might be able to get by with it fine. After all, I'm not making money with my photography.

I'm not doing anything until Photo actually launches and I can get a good look at how it works and what the storage options are. If it handles raw conversions well enough, image editing is better than iPhoto and cloud storage isn't mandatory, I might be able to get by with it fine. After all, I'm not making money with my photography.

Likewise. I think the app will be OK. Even now, I sometimes use iPhoto for minor editing, and if I have no intention to use any of the plugins I have. So if some of the better aspects of aperture and iphoto are combines and they still continue to be viable for management (I detest those which use folders only and cannot seem to access subfolders, eg ACDSee, Aftershot Pro and so on... without having to dig into those folders first)... then I'll stick with it.

I won't be using iCloud for storage. 5GB? Thats ridiculous! Perhaps paying for more is viable, but given that I have something like 1-2 terabytes of online storage elsewhere... why would I want to.

As a previous Aperture user and now Lightroom user, I was very reluctant to move my photos from one to the other. I really wanted Apple to be the premiere app for my photography. But I realized a while back that Apple was slow to support new cameras and third party developers that provided online support for their services, (500px, Wordpress, etc.)

So I forced myself to switch to Lightroom as I ventured into the world of Leica. I had to export my Aperture file structure from "managed" to referenced and ensure all of my images were still intact. Of course, my edited RAW images lost their edits except those that I'd saved in jpg or tiff.

Now that if have a set routine in Lightroom I couldn't be happier. As to Adobe's business practice, I guess I don't understand the issue nor the problem so many here on Serious Compacts have for their subscription plan. For $10/month US currency you have Lightroom and Photoshop along with Lightroom mobile and some online storage. I'd assume some of us here upgrade our computers on occasion and as they advance I would think one would want the latest software that takes advantage of that new hardware.

Then there's the online photo challenge. Apple will already be a year late and a dollar short. Right now for $24.95 Mosaic has teamed up with Google Drive offering unlimited storage on Google Drive.

Few Facts About Us - MosaicArchive

I think the problem, Duane, is that companies like Adobe expect their service to become another "utility" that we will pay for every month... forever. It's a great business plan - for them. Adobe makes great products and I love photography. But I am putting limits on the number of fixed costs in my budget. i suspect others feel the same way.

Or, to put it another way, I don't expect to have to start to rent a product I thought I had already bought ...

Well you can still buy a stand alone version of Lightroom and avoid the rental plan. I happen to want to have access to Photoshop too and feel $10/month is less expensive in the long run than their previous stand alone pricing at over $600.

Yes, I know Duane, it was I who posted about where on the Adobe site you can find it to buy a perpetual licence.
But, as I also said, it is only a matter of time before it is completely subsumed into the CC subscription model.

It bears noting that we are after all discussing a direct replacement for Aperture rather than an entire PS suite, so you're not comparing like-for-like.

My copy of LR4 cost me about £60 as I recall, not $600 (~£350).
CC LR in the UK is about £9/month - say ~$15
Accordingly, one year's CC subscription costs me substantially more that what I paid.

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

I think you have to accept that, regardless of the fact that you feel that the sub model is good for you, others feel it is not (and may never be) an acceptable alternative.

However, I suppose this is rather taking a tangent off from the OP which is after all about an Apple product, so I'll leave it there

Back