Sony Sony Breaks New Ground with A7 / A7R Announcement

Some comparisons with XE1, which I have with me on this Thanksgiving trip along with a Nikon to X Speed Booster.

Ergonomically, the XE1 feels much better in my hands than the A7 -- particularly the location of the shutter button. On the A7, the location is not natural for me. Combined with the mushy shutter button, I feel like I am inducing camera shake every time I push down on the shutter button.

The feel of the shutter button on the XE1 feels much more precise.

Indoor lighting high ISO JPG from 3200 to 6400 is better on the XE1. That is strange because my recollection is that the RX1 was better than the XE1.

AF speed edge in good light goes to A7 with both cameras using their respective kit zoom lenses. In lower light, they are about the same.

Other than better DOF control and higher resolution, I'm not convinced that the A7 is a "better" camera for me than the XE1. Of course "better" is totally subjective to one's needs and wants.

So far, the A7 feels like a high tech gadget. While the XE1 feels more like a photographic tool. That's also how I feel about the EM5 vs XE1.

Surprising to hear that, RX1 has pretty good high iso. AF should be pretty usable then, as long as it is accurate. Fuji's are more analog, RX1 is more like that. I see a XE2 in your future:) You said that you were checking that too where you picked A7...

I also compared the RX1 files with the ones I took using the 7R and various lenses and found the RX1 to rendering to be much more pleasing. This is also what helped me to decide against the 7R, if the only af lens I might use is the 55 1.8 at nearly £1,000 then I'm out I think!

I also compared the RX1 files with the ones I took using the 7R and various lenses and found the RX1 to rendering to be much more pleasing. This is also what helped me to decide against the 7R, if the only af lens I might use is the 55 1.8 at nearly £1,000 then I'm out I think!

Sell the M240 and you will have change left after getting the 55/1.8!! :)

Have you returned the A7R yet?

I want to like the A7. And I probably haven't given it enough of a chance yet. But so far, not falling in love.

Yes, sent it off this afternoon. Upgraded to LR5 so that I could use the raws but still not really feeling the love with the lenses I have. Of course, I have no adapter for the Leica lenses but still, I feel that the user experience of the M is much nicer in that regard. So far, no regrets but never say never....... !

Uhh said to hear those news Christine and Jack. I havent "used" the camera yet, just got home to set it up and shoot some frames of my stepdaughter, cats and the likes. And im in awe. The camera is nice and snappy. and I simply love that they went the "olympus route" in terms of the menus and customizability (does that word even exist?), you have to sit one time with the camera go through all the menus (which now they do look like a photo camera menu and not like a psp or playstation ones like in my nex6) and then you dont need to go into the menus anymore. I think that the button placement is the best of my ricoh gr and the OMD. In fact i set it up like how i shot on my omd and ricoh so now its almost one hand operation really. shutter button is uber sensitive though. but i can live with that. lcd and evf are simply beautiful. shutter sound is absolutely normal. and the camera feels solid. I tried both my 35mm summilux and 50mm summilux they both perform wonders. i will go out this weekend on a hard test with it, and will post some images soon!.
I think this is a keeper for me. But again, its only been 24 hours.

Nice to hear someone's happy :) I'll be interested to see your results. There was a two week wait for a Novoflex Leica adapter so I couldn't wait for that but I may change my mind somewhere down the line. Perhaps the 7 will be better than the 7R for the lenses, also the shutter would be quieter on the 7 I believe. Hurry up, post some pics ......:clapping: I had no problem with the ergonomics, in fact it's the nicest grip I've ever tried and I found the menus very similar to the RX1 anyway so no problems there.

Uhh said to hear those news Christine and Jack. I havent "used" the camera yet, just got home to set it up and shoot some frames of my stepdaughter, cats and the likes. And im in awe. The camera is nice and snappy. and I simply love that they went the "olympus route" in terms of the menus and customizability (does that word even exist?), you have to sit one time with the camera go through all the menus (which now they do look like a photo camera menu and not like a psp or playstation ones like in my nex6) and then you dont need to go into the menus anymore. I think that the button placement is the best of my ricoh gr and the OMD. In fact i set it up like how i shot on my omd and ricoh so now its almost one hand operation really. shutter button is uber sensitive though. but i can live with that. lcd and evf are simply beautiful. shutter sound is absolutely normal. and the camera feels solid. I tried both my 35mm summilux and 50mm summilux they both perform wonders. i will go out this weekend on a hard test with it, and will post some images soon!.
I think this is a keeper for me. But again, its only been 24 hours.

We want images! We want images! :D

Sounds like this is gonna be a great setup for you Chris. On second thought I better not look at your photos, my wallet is already unhappy about the Nikon gear I shoot with - the last thing I need is to fall in love with Leica glass! :rofl:

I appreciate the impressions, all! (y)

As of yesterday, I have confirmation from Amazon that both my 35mm and A7 body will ship on the 2nd. I will be traveling that week, but hope to get out the following weekend for some shooting - I should be able to test out both the weather sealing and cold weather operation! Good luck to everyone else with their preorders!

Hey guys quick report: I'm shooting with a Voigtlander heliar 15mm f4.5 without any corner smearing magenta tints just some vignettes which is absolute normal for a lens like this. By the way this thing is a black hole sucks everything in! And so tiny like the P14!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Pentax makes a KILLER 55mm and Nikon has made several. I'm reasonably sure that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two focal lengths (assuming I'm not comparing them back to back). That's not to say that no one could.

I think I would call it the "Jive 55" ;)

There are bunch of older 55-58mm slr lenses. It looks like manufacturers are going back to 55mm w/ Zeiss, Otus, Nikon 55mm releases, now Sony chose that. At least in A7(R) apsc mode 55mm is equivalent to 82.5mm which makes a nice portrait lens compared to previous 50mm 1.8 OSS nex release which has equivalent of 75mm which is on the shorter side for portraits... APSC market might be one reason.

Back