Ricoh Oficially joining SC with my GR (image heavy)

Chrisnmn

Veteran
Name
Chris Leskovsek
Hey guys, ive been around this forum for a while now, commenting here and there, but have never collaborated much on this side of the pond. As i usually hang around on mu43.com with my OMD and stuff.

But, finally got my Ricoh GR on tuesday this week, after much wondering around for a serious compact. I had a stunt with Fuji X100´s (s and non-s) but i finally found "home" with the GR. This camera simply feels right. almost too perfect to be true. In fact, if i knew that Ricoh had a system camera like the GR i would jump straight to it. simply love the handling, operation, ease of use, and of course the IQ this little beast pulls out.

Im not good with reviews or anything like that, so this is not intended to be one. This is more like a "hello" and here are some random shots i grabbed with this camera on my first week with it.

_R010105.jpg

This camera has no problem shooting straight into the sun, no flare, some vignette of course (which i love in this camera) and super sharp!

_R010261.jpg

_R010275.jpg

_R010087.jpg

_R010093.jpg

_R010120.jpg

_R010308.jpg

_R010341.jpg

this camera was made for black and white, i simply love its black and white processing!

_R010577.jpg

_R010475.jpg

also ive read a lot that the colors this camera produces are not "vivid" or doesnt "pop" and stuff, but i feel that the colors it produces are actually impressive, and super accurate and real!.

here some color shots as well

_R010374.jpg

_R010546.jpg

_R010576.jpg

_R010089.jpg

I usually never shoot flowers and stuff like that, but i thought to try out the sharpness, colors and DOF with this camera. So i shot this on a morning walk to the bus stop to work. im in love with this little guy. I can see this camera as the perfect companion to my OMD + P25 combo.

any comments guys of course are more than welcome!.

PS: some of the "protest" shots you see here, are part of a bigger post im planning to do next here! :drinks:

An official welcome to you, sir, and great to see you introduce yourself with so many images; I also like #1 a lot and especially the skaters for the low angle and deep perspective it has. Enjoy your new camera - obviously it serves you well :)

I really love number 6 :) The only thing wrong with the GR for me is the fact that I can't see the screen without my reading glasses :( Love the colours from it and the lens bokeh is lovely.

Camera AND Photographer output looks great to me!

Are you shooting a red filter on some of the b/w? Like #7 in particular but several of them have that look. It may be an "in camera" filter?

Red filter, though sometimes challenging, is my favorite b/w filter generally. It brings skin up usually and takes backgrounds down more, and of course dramatically darkens skies.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your photos. I'm hopeful that the excitement that the GR is generating will encourage more manufacturers to release something similar. I think it's time for me to vote with my wallet.

wow thank you guys for the great welcoming and encouraging words! i really appreciate it!. Im honored you guys are liking some of my images!. will keep bringing some more!

The ricoh is certainly an amazing piece of camera. just the fact of having a big sensor in my pocket brings me back to my 35mm film compact camera days which i loved!. Now the only thing i wish would be a GR type of camera (big sensor small camera) with a fast 50mm lens and as fast as the Ricoh or the OMD that would be a dream.

Camera AND Photographer output looks great to me!

Are you shooting a red filter on some of the b/w? Like #7 in particular but several of them have that look. It may be an "in camera" filter?

Red filter, though sometimes challenging, is my favorite b/w filter generally. It brings skin up usually and takes backgrounds down more, and of course dramatically darkens skies.

Thanks John!, and for your questions on filters and stuff. One thing i hate in nowadays cameras is all the bells & whistles they put in there, i simply just hate em. BUT, for the first time in my life, im seriously LOVING the RICOH black and white in camera filters. the Hi contrast one is simply impressive. (i believe that non of the pictures i posted here were done with the hi contrast one though) and the normal black and white filter is also really good. it almost feels like this camera was built with black and white as a main thing. and i love that. But no, i dont use ANY filters in my GR, nor physical or in camera. All this images are cooked by moi in lightroom with some black and white preset ive created within a year of tweaks and learning.

The only extras i got for my GR was a UV filter that sticks in front of the lens, the official leather case and now im waiting for the Eye Fi Xpro2 card as the ricoh manual says it recommends that one to get wifi in camera. Also ordered some sigma DP41 batteries as they are the same and fit the ricoh. and super cheap. so this will be my main snap camera with wifi and all.

Thanks John!, and for your questions on filters and stuff. One thing i hate in nowadays cameras is all the bells & whistles they put in there, i simply just hate em. BUT, for the first time in my life, im seriously LOVING the RICOH black and white in camera filters. the Hi contrast one is simply impressive. (i believe that non of the pictures i posted here were done with the hi contrast one though) and the normal black and white filter is also really good. it almost feels like this camera was built with black and white as a main thing. and i love that. But no, i dont use ANY filters in my GR, nor physical or in camera. All this images are cooked by moi in lightroom with some black and white preset ive created within a year of tweaks and learning.

The only extras i got for my GR was a UV filter that sticks in front of the lens, the official leather case and now im waiting for the Eye Fi Xpro2 card as the ricoh manual says it recommends that one to get wifi in camera. Also ordered some sigma DP41 batteries as they are the same and fit the ricoh. and super cheap. so this will be my main snap camera with wifi and all.

Cool. Well something is cooking good in there, lol. The dark skies and light creamy skin tones are something you get out of red and "reddish" filtering where you let more of the red end of spectrum through.

I don't know if you saw the pictures I took of my grandson Isaac when we went to the art museum, but the one of him on the train was "post filtered" using a red filter type of processing and tweaked. I took the original in color but the light was so badly mixed that his skin looked awful. But a b/w through the red filter smoothed it all out nicely.

Hi Chrisnmn, Your #1, 7 and 10 are simply awesome!! :bravo-009:

I am also an OMD user and just got my brand new GRDIV last week. I still don't have many photos to share but i just addicted to it's Hi-Contract B&W!
Here are 3 photos from my GRDIV that i like the most :)

9382155947_cc7abb72d6_z.jpg

9382159795_dbe13807b9_z.jpg

9384939056_7c3b8e9fab_z.jpg

That's a great set of images. Love the aeroplane across the sky.hope to see more of your work and the Ricoh in particular

Thank you guys! i really appreciate all your comments. I just posted some new photos in the GR thread!

Also Phillipsc good stuff man! I like the first one. and yes, i agree the High Contrast setting on the Ricoh is simply brilliant!

Back