Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Compacts Podcast 6: Jono Slack and the Latest from Leica (Berlin Event)

Real Name
    Amin

Serious Compacts Podcast 6: Jono Slack and the Latest from Leica (Berlin Event)

Tonight, Jono Slack was kind enough to join me on the podcast despite being sleep-deprived and tired from travel to discuss the products unveiled at Leica's recent event in Berlin. In addition to attending the event, Jono has been using a prototype of the Leica M Monochrome, which he put through its paces during a recent trip to China. Jono was also given the new Leica X2 to tryout and spent some hands-on time with the new APO Summicron 50mm lens.

Jono has great insights into the new gear. I hope others enjoy our chat as much as I did.

You can listen to the 29-minute* episode here: http://media.seriouscompacts.com.s3....m/SCP-0006.mp3

*We originally planned to include our discussion in a single episode with a second discussion I recorded tonight with Armanius, Terry, and Bob, but given the length of that second discussion, I thought it would be better to keep them separate.

Podcast subscription options:
    Subscribe in iTunes
    Subscribe in another podcast client

Some of the things we mentioned in the podcast:
    Jono's website: http://www.slack.co.uk
    Jono's writeup of the M Monochrom: Henri - The Leica M Monochrom
    Jono's images taken with the M Monochrome in China: M Monochrom in China
    Jono's OM-D vs NEX-7 resolution comparison at GetDPI: OMD vs NEX7 - resolution - discuss - The GetDPI Photography Forums
    DPReview's sample images from the M Monochrome: Leica M-Monochrom Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review
    Reid Reviews (pay site): Welcome to ReidReviews
    Peter Karbe video about developing the Leica APO Summicron 50/2 ASPH:
    Amin
    SeriousCompacts.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=6735

2. The following 6 members thank Amin Sabet for this post:

Real Name
    Antonio
    Excellent, as usual. Thank you so much, Amin!

Cheers,

Antonio

4. The following 2 members thank ajramirez for this post:

Real Name
    Jack

Just listened to the entire podcast and it's great! Was fully expecting to fall asleep as I just woke up not too long ago, but was thoroughly captivated by the discussion. Trouble is that I now want a M9M and the new 50 Cron!!! Haha. It'll never happen. But one can dream! :)

Great to hear Jono's voice as well. Now I can put a voice to the name and words!

Nicely done. Very insightful indeed.
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Current Gear: A little bit of this and a little bit of that, but want more!

Real Name
    Polly Warmtone
    I shall look forward to this; i just read Jono's gracious and good tempered response to some rather typical RFF nonsense ...
    My photostream at Flickr.com is here
    Stuff about why I take snaps here: Making something new in the World
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    "We can not shake the illusion of the truthfulness of photography" - William Gedney

7. The following 2 members thank pdh for this post:

Real Name
    Jack
    I must admit my initial reaction to the new 50 Cron was rather negative due to the pricing. But having discussed it with Jono yesterday, I can appreciate the lens for what it is -- a specialty limited lens, which is not meant to replace the current "affordable" 50 Cron non-APO.
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Current Gear: A little bit of this and a little bit of that, but want more!

Real Name
    Amin

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    I shall look forward to this; i just read Jono's gracious and good tempered response to some rather typical RFF nonsense ...
    It was an excellent response to some folks who really didn't deserve a response at all IMO.
    Amin
    SeriousCompacts.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=6735

10. The following 2 members thank Amin Sabet for this post:

Real Name
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Great podcast. What a delightful guy! I never think its a terrible thing that Leica makes all of this high end stuff. And in some ways really pushes the species forward. But I rarely pay much attention to the details because, well, its not a neighborhood I shop in and I don't look at the photographs in such a way as to notice those small differences. So, I'm entertained and glad the envelope is still being pushed, but I'll stay firmly perched inside the envelope while others do the pushing. Still, nice to be kept apprised though.

-Ray
    We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir

My Flickr Stream of Consciousness

12. The following 2 members thank Ray Sachs for this post:

Loved it, great discussion, very entertaining, well worth listening too.

14. The following 2 members thank Landshark for this post:

Real Name
    Rick
    Thanks, Amin! This has become one of the best, if not the best, and most relevant podcasts in the "podosphere". It's great to hear a conversation among adults. :)

16. The following 2 members thank Ranger Rick for this post:

Real Name
    Julien
    Bookmarked! I'm impatient to listen to this, as soon as I have the time

EDIT: Just listened to it and, well, very informative and enjoyable as usual.
    Last edited by Julien; May 14th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

18. The following 2 members thank Julien for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast