Sigma Announces DP1M (Merrill Compact) and DP2M with 15MPx3 sensor from SD1

Naveed Akhtar

Regular
sigma_DP2m.png
sigma_DP1m.png

Same Foveon X3 46megapixel Direct Image sensor as the SD1 DSLR camera.
Dual three-layer responsive ultimate (TRUE II) engine.

DP1 Merrill Compact Digital Camera - Digital Cameras - SigmaPhoto.com
Features a fixed 19mm F2.8 lens which is the equivalent to a 28mm lens on a 35mm SLR camera.
* Same lens they announced for Sony NEX and m4/3 mount

DP2 Merrill Compact Digital Camera - Digital Cameras - SigmaPhoto.com
Features a fixed 30mm F2.8 lens which is the equivalent to a 45mm lens on a 35mm SLR camera.
* Same lens they announced for Sony NEX and m4/3 mount

The f2.8 :) lens protrudes a bit more but it appears to have a manual focus ring on it and there is RAW plus jpeg file saving.

And I just bought a new old DP1 hehe

This is unexpected but interesting. I don't expect them to be competitive in low light but for shooting in good lighting...most interesting. I'll be curious about the prices. Too many temptations. :)

Ohhh, and sorry for double posting but I just realized that those 19mm and 30mm focal length used in the new DPs are the same that Sigma is going to produce for the NEX and micro 4/3 systems. Now it all make sense (economy of scale).

Ohhh, and sorry for double posting but I just realized that those 19mm and 30mm focal length used in the new DPs are the same that Sigma is going to produce for the NEX and micro 4/3 systems. Now it all make sense (economy of scale).

No worries about double posting .. but this is a very good point and sigma with its very limited resources compare to other giants; played it very well ... they are exactly same lenses!

BUT THE BIGGEST PLUS POINT IS ......... the SD1 sensor, the same sensor they were holding in 7 grand SD1, its deffinately the best thing you can get in this package.

@Will f2.8 should be good enough for 28mm equivalent FOV, for any low light situation and with this sensor.

The IQ can surpass the top ends in many fields!

OMG! Must have. What a power package. DP1 Merrill or DP2 Merrill or both:daz:

atleast one of them.. the one that lacks in your current lens line up.
If you are on m4/3 like me ... and you dont have pany 25mm 1.4 get DP1 if you dont have pany 14mm 2.5 get DP2..
I know very bad example .. but something in line of that :)))

I have both, the first generation DP1 since it was launched (and never had any issues with it), and recently bought the DP2x, which has a more useful focal length for my needs. I think I'll get the DP2 Merrill.

I think it's interesting and heartening that Sigma continue to manufacture and expand this range.
I can't imagine it adds very much to their sales or profit, yet they show commitment to the line - good for them; development in action

When these might appear and how much they'll cost is anybody's guess, of course

They don't look as compact since the lens doesn't seem to retract any more. Wish they had added an interchangeable lens mount on this one to make it really interesting.

-Thomas

Very interesting indeed, but there are some points that makes me wonder.

The lens:
Just how good are these new lenses? The old DP lenses were amazing, but can the new ones not only live up to that, but surpass them? The 15mp Foveon sensor is going to need really amazing glass to shine and it's not like you can just put on a better lens later.

Autofocusing:
Doesn't look like they put on an AF assist light. The lack of focusing ability in poor light was a big annoyance for me with the old DPs, but manual focus could be improved with the new screen and manual focus dial.
And how fast is it going to focus? The new m43 cameras are spoiling people rotten, I wonder if Sigma is going to get anywhere near that.

Operating speed:
Another big one. These are huge RAW files, are we going to be stuck with the same 3 frame buffer, and how long will it take to clear it?

But I didn't really expect them to launch new DP cameras so I'm hoping for the best :)

Back