Sigma Announces DP1M (Merrill Compact) and DP2M with 15MPx3 sensor from SD1

Yep!

Ohhh, and sorry for double posting but I just realized that those 19mm and 30mm focal length used in the new DPs are the same that Sigma is going to produce for the NEX and micro 4/3 systems. Now it all make sense (economy of scale).

Now we know why Sigma came out with those odd focal lengths for NEX and m43.

Interesting comment at Imaging Resource on the SD1 sensor:

In our testing, we felt that the SD1's low-ISO images easily equalled the resolution from top full-frame cameras with ~25 megapixel sensors. Thanks to the lack of color interpolation needed to overcome the RGB striping of conventional sensor arrays, the lack of artifacts in areas of fine detail also produced a level of presence (for lack of a better term) we've not seen in any other camera.

Interesting comment at Imaging Resource on the SD1 sensor:

Yes Olli .. thanks for the plug; the reason for low SD1 sale was actually it higher price and the fact many pros didn't want to switch to a new camera system with Sigma only lenses, no matter how good is their IQ.

Luckily DP1/2 Merrill are free from such limitations, due to their limit to lens change :))

The good lord please give me, and my threatened marriage, strength....

This is just too sweet, but in the wake of the SD1 I fear the price tag will be more in the $2000 region

This is just too sweet, but in the wake of the SD1 I fear the price tag will be more in the $2000 region

Not that high, the SD1 Merrill just dropped to 2G's
So the temptation factor is higher yet ;)

I think it's interesting and heartening that Sigma continue to manufacture and expand this range.
I can't imagine it adds very much to their sales or profit, yet they show commitment to the line - good for them; development in action
:thiagree:

When these might appear and how much they'll cost is anybody's guess, of course
Should be under 1000$ considering SD1 dropped to match Nik D800, Fuji X-Pro1 2500$

Just how good are these new lenses? The old DP lenses were amazing, but can the new ones not only live up to that, but surpass them? The 15mp Foveon sensor is going to need really amazing glass to shine and it's not like you can just put on a better lens later.
Should be top end. They already launched these two for Sony NEX line on 24MP sensor. So 15MP should be perfectly fine.

And how fast is it going to focus? The new m43 cameras are spoiling people rotten, I wonder if Sigma is going to get anywhere near that.
AF should have improved (a hope) as its less affected by the bigger file sizes, and C-AF will be getting some improvement from faster dual processors, also the new lens designs, but am not seeing it as fast as m43 or nik CX phase detect.

These are huge RAW files, are we going to be stuck with the same 3 frame buffer, and how long will it take to clear it?
Operation speed will be the biggest issue, as from Luminous Landscape review on SD1 it was real frustration, so same will hold true for these little monstors. But again, cant complain Sigma for this, specially when some bigger DSLRs like Sony A900 was also affected badly by large 24MP file sizes. This one got much more complexities to handle, due to its unique 45MP output in 15MP consolidated images.

But all in all, if you are not into fast action, portrait, sports, candid, fashion or any kind of photography that needs burst mode, AF tracking and performance, then these are some unique offerings to complement a m43 or a heavy full frame DSLR users, as a backup camera to capture well thought shots of colorful landscape, waterfalls, artistic portraits or architecture etc.

good luck :laugh1:

Seeing Sigma's latest price pattern, it can't be, they lowered their asking price on SD1 to match Nik D800 $2400
They gonna do same with these to match or lower than Fuji X100. I am hoping for less than 1000$

I wouldn't be too worried about the price. I mean, if they really are over $1000 they will be in NEX-7 and EM-5 territory, they just won't sell many of them and the price will drop quickly one way or another. I think (hope) that by now they've learned their lessons with the SD1 and won't be making the same mistake again.

Hope for the future

good luck :laugh1:

Seeing Sigma's latest price pattern, it can't be, they lowered their asking price on SD1 to match Nik D800 $2400
They gonna do same with these to match or lower than Fuji X100. I am hoping for less than 1000$

Reckon they have to price their compacts around $800 US to go up against the Oly E-P3 or the other fixed lens contender: the Canon GX-1.

Afraid they have left it a bit late - esp as selling without built-in flash, not a fast lens, and unknown AF performance and a legacy of slow operation. But maybe this spurt of activity from Sigma bodes well that in future they will follow through better on their good ideas.

There is good news for your marriage. Sigma's new product cycles are probably the longest in the industry. So maybe your wife will understand that the next upgrade will be in the distant future.....? ;)

New DP and old DP lined up together

120209SIGMAMerrill07.jpg

120209SIGMAMerrill08.jpg

120209SIGMAMerrill09.jpg

from Gizmodo

Back