Ricoh The new A16 zoom lens module announced!

wolfie

Veteran
Looks like a useful zoom range starting at 24mm (35 equiv) -pity it is still standard kit zoom aperture of f3.5
RicohGXRlens.jpg

Attachments

• GXR_A16R_sideon.jpg
    GXR_A16R_sideon.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 224
16-55mm/3.5-5.5

Better be priced at <$450

Don't forget.
1. It starts at 24mm, a useful moderate wide range for many uses, something not many standard zooms do.
2. It has the excellent Sony 16 MP sensor, which should also allow for fast AF.
3. Ricoh builds excellent glas.
So all in all I expect this zoom to be a strong performer clearly beating DSLR kit zooms.

I don't think this will go in my bag as I'm now addicted to fast primes. I received my Leica 40mm f/2 yesterday and have begun to play with it today. I see a Leica 90mm f/2.8 and the Voigt 15 or 21mm in my near future. My 28mm module may go up for sale to help fund these.

Don't forget.
1. It starts at 24mm, a useful moderate wide range for many uses, something not many standard zooms do.
2. It has the excellent Sony 16 MP sensor, which should also allow for fast AF.
3. Ricoh builds excellent glas.
So all in all I expect this zoom to be a strong performer clearly beating DSLR kit zooms.

I'd have preferred less zoom but faster lens, if a trade off is needed. I'd be happier with a 18-50/f2.8-3.5.

I recently picked up a cheapo Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 for the K5. Slightly larger than the kit 18-55 and the DA18-135. But internal zoom, HSM motor, and OIS. That internal zoom thing is awesome.

Finally! It's about what I expected. But apparently the zoom is electronic, not manual. That's disappointing. Surely $650, like all of the other APS modules.

I wonder why they chose to release a zoom/cannon...? Not like this is a compact zoom with OIS that would might appeal to the prosumer (okay, maybe a stretch). I would think that with Ricoh's existing user base, a new fast prime would have sold a whole lot better. I would definitely be on the hook for a 24mm, 35mm, 90mm prime, or even an updated 28 or 50 with the newer Sony sensor.

That's a good point Kyle. I too can't fathom why current GXR users would be enamored with the new lensor. And IMO, there won't be too many people looking at entry level DSLR's that will say, "hmmmm ... maybe I'll get the GXR + this module."

A short telephoto prime would have complimented the current lineup well. I'd love to have seen a 35mm equivalent f1.4 lensor that is no larger than the 28.

I'm really not in the market for this. My GXR is primarily (no pun intended) a platform for my LTM, M and R Leica glass. I have both the current zooms and will probably sell the shorter of the two as not needed. The longer one has uses at times and takes up very little space.

I wonder why they chose to release a zoom/cannon...? Not like this is a compact zoom with OIS that would might appeal to the prosumer (okay, maybe a stretch). I would think that with Ricoh's existing user base, a new fast prime would have sold a whole lot better. I would definitely be on the hook for a 24mm, 35mm, 90mm prime, or even an updated 28 or 50 with the newer Sony sensor.

This zoom has been on their roadmap for quite a while now. I can only assume that with the release of the A12 Mount that they've given the user an option for "fast" primes with M mount lenses.

Andrew, are you sure this is an electronic zoom?

Hi Amin,

I will be in Tokyo next week traveling with my job and have scheduled a meeting with the Ricoh Photo Contest personnel next Tuesday at their digital camera Shinyokahama Office. Since they've officially announced this new lens maybe they will give me a demonstration while I'm there. Plus, CP+, the Japanese Photokina convenes Feb 9th. So I'm sure this announcement probably coincides with this event.

I don't really get this lens, but then I don't really get the other zoom modules for the GXR either. To me, the GXR is a great little unit for getting fast primes mated to APS sensors in a very small package. I think the "lensor" concept helps make this possible. And the amazing Ricoh controls and things like snap focus make more of a difference for those types of lenses than for zooms.

If you want a 24-72 with a 1.17 sensor or a super zoom with a tiny sensor, there are cheaper and smaller ways to get them. Same for a kit-zoom like this even with an APS sensor (although the 24 wide end is very nice and fairly unusual). I mean you can get a Nex 5n and the kit lens for little more than this lensor alone. Ricoh has a good thing going with the GXR and the excellent 28 and 50 modules. I hope they add a portrait length prime and maybe an ultra wide (where a zoom could have some value). Maybe they'll sell a few of these lessors just because there are so few lenses available for the GXR, but I just don't see where the market is for this. But I'm sure Ricoh's marketing folks have an idea of who they'll get. And I'm a bit biased against zooms anyway, so I'm probably wrong. But I still don't get it.

-Ray

I see this as a great replacement for the S10 24-72. F3.5 is plenty fast enough at 24mm and with the new sensor ISO 3200 should be more than useable. Most likely I will buy this lens for when the 28mm just won't do.

Also: RAW only recording finally.
Faster focus than the GR prime lenses.

I don't really get this lens, but then I don't really get the other zoom modules for the GXR either. To me, the GXR is a great little unit for getting fast primes mated to APS sensors in a very small package. I think the "lensor" concept helps make this possible. And the amazing Ricoh controls and things like snap focus make more of a difference for those types of lenses than for zooms.

If you want a 24-72 with a 1.17 sensor or a super zoom with a tiny sensor, there are cheaper and smaller ways to get them. Same for a kit-zoom like this even with an APS sensor (although the 24 wide end is very nice and fairly unusual). I mean you can get a Nex 5n and the kit lens for little more than this lensor alone. Ricoh has a good thing going with the GXR and the excellent 28 and 50 modules. I hope they add a portrait length prime and maybe an ultra wide (where a zoom could have some value). Maybe they'll sell a few of these lessors just because there are so few lenses available for the GXR, but I just don't see where the market is for this. But I'm sure Ricoh's marketing folks have an idea of who they'll get. And I'm a bit biased against zooms anyway, so I'm probably wrong. But I still don't get it.

Ray, I agree with you in that the GXR is, IMO, a great APS mirrorless camera. Forget the small sensor units. But I do think that for the GXR ecosystem to be well rounded it needs an APS zoom, just like all other systems (except Leica) have them. It may not be as popular as the A12s (and we assume future A16s), but it should be popular enough (within the small Ricoh universe).

With the A12 primes, the Mount unit and the A16 zoom it's a very flexible system. Add 2-3 more A16 primes and it's even better!

I'll probably try it, but I had actually already decided to use the Nikon V1 as my zoom / family / travel camera, and I'm really pleased with it. I doubt the A16 zoom can compete on focus speed and movies, both of which I'm appreciating for family use.

Ray, I agree with you in that the GXR is, IMO, a great APS mirrorless camera. Forget the small sensor units. But I do think that for the GXR ecosystem to be well rounded it needs an APS zoom, just like all other systems (except Leica) have them. It may not be as popular as the A12s (and we assume future A16s), but it should be popular enough (within the small Ricoh universe).

With the A12 primes, the Mount unit and the A16 zoom it's a very flexible system. Add 2-3 more A16 primes and it's even better!

I'll probably try it, but I had actually already decided to use the Nikon V1 as my zoom / family / travel camera, and I'm really pleased with it. I doubt the A16 zoom can compete on focus speed and movies, both of which I'm appreciating for family use.
I'm sure there is some part of the Ricoh customer base that will find it useful. It seems to me that the pretty large majority of GXR buyers, at least in the US market, tend to be pretty discerning photographers who are somewhat less likely to care about a kit zoom. Particularly as an expensive after-purchase decision - not something that "comes with" the camera initially, which is how this type of lens is generally sold. Its not like the casual photographer is gonna walk into a camera shop in the US or Canada and have a salesman pushing a Ricoh GXR on you - if you want a Ricoh, you pretty much have to go LOOK FOR ONE! I know, I've tried! So not a lot of casual camera buyers - the kind who tend to shoot a lot or even exclusively with a kit zoom - are ending up with GXRs. Maybe they're sold very differently in Japan or other markets and that's where they plan to sell most of these zooms??? I don't know, but knowing what I know about how Ricoh is positioned and perceived in the US and Canada I have trouble seeing who's gonna buy these things. At least in significant numbers.

But you're probably right - Ricoh wouldn't have developed it if they didn't have a pretty good idea of who they'd sell 'em to and in roughly what numbers. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense - I could give you a VERY long list of things accepted by vast majorities of the population of the world that I'll NEVER understand! :D

-Ray

Back