Color images from nature

Great title - even though I could see they weren't the Grateful Dead heads.:D Very cool image, ricks - a serious scifi feel from my point of view. Can you share your camera settings - you can just edit your post if you would like to. I'm interested in knowing also if you chose the macro focus mode.

P.S. I apologize for not keeping up with all the posts of late - a combination of feeling under the weather and being busy. Deirdre, yours is a beauty - I know I do know the name of that plant but can't think of it right now. Great color shot! Is this the M8 at work or another camera, if I may ask?

Thanks BB. I still can't get this the way I want. I wish I had that content aware fill. The settings iso80, 1/500, f4. Yes I was using the macro mode.

Here's some unexpected color from a walk in Vancouver in mid-December. All shots taken with Nikon Micro 60mm on NEX.

20101213-DSC02960-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20101213-DSC02959-1.jpg

20101213-DSC02967-1.jpg

Here's a shot of the red bud(?) last month
20101122-DSC02336-1.jpg

Kevin, seeing your lensaholic images really makes me second guess my fixed lens choice. It is hard to believe these were taken so recently - they have such a temperate look! Although I like them each, and love the color/texture juxtaposition in the first...there is something awfully compelling about that little hedgehog like being in your third.:love:

Barrie, the light in each of these is beautiful and I'm glad to know that you've had a break in the bad weather - or at least you did have one. Lovely use of depth of field in these. Each of these is a gift from nature via your vision.

The middle photo is awesome. It's like you had the twig and bid under a shadow and then reflected the sunlight back on to it at different angles with tiny reflectors.

Many thanks Traam, nature organised the lighting for me, I was able to exploit it. I did kick myself because there was a lovely bead of water that was hanging under the twig, I managed to disturb it as I was setting up and it fell off, such is life :).

Barrie

Brian, beautiful shot !

You inspired me to see if I could take some spring shots in the middle of winter. I cheated and took some shots inside and did some bright processing.

20101225-_DSC2194-1-2.jpg

20101226-_DSC2214-1-2.jpg

Taken with Sony A33 and Minolta 50mm macro f2.8

Love many of the beautiful photos of flowers and landscapes in this thread but I have shunned that path and yet again taken the minimalist approach.

Behold, a hedge. Or what looks like a normally well-manicured hedge but with the equivalent of a 5 o'clock shadow of growth (ie. perhaps a couple of weeks of summer growth), with some kind of a blurry blue thing in the top left hand corner:

5271588154_cb5df0634f_b_d.jpg

January colors

I recently purchased another camera - the Sony SLT-A33. I now have the in-body image stabilization and lens selection that I missed with the Nex. The trade-off is a little bit of size but I will keep my Nex for when portability is important.

I have been waiting for good weather and experimenting with the A33. Here are some of my shots from the few days of good weather we've had in Vancouver.

The first two are from this afternoon with a Takumar 55mm f1.8 on the A33. I have made the first one my desktop background to fool myself into thinking warm weather is around the corner :)
20110109-DSC02657-1.jpg

20110109-DSC02656-1.jpg

The next few are with a Minolta 35-10mm f4 lens. It is a heavy lens but sharp through its odd zoom range. I paid $60 for it and I will be keeping it because it is much better than the kit lens.
20110108-DSC02634-1-2.jpg

20110108-DSC02632-1.jpg

20110102-_DSC2426-1.jpg

20110108-DSC02638-1.jpg

Wow! Kevin, I had completely missed these! That first one is my all time favorite - it's dreamlike!

There are many good photos in this thread. Sometimes I think we don't get to see things when they're first up and then miss them. Other times, we're in a hurry and give a "thanks" to let each other know we like and appreciate the pictures. I think I need to get up earlier to keep on top of all these threads and pictures.:flowers_2:

Back