Bugs Show 'Insect'

thanks Barrie ... now, what made you say ichneumon? Familiarity with lots of them, or is there a set of features you noted ?

Oh, and I am told that "Amblyteles armatorius would be a strong contender" ...

hoverfly heaven

At last my wildflower border is doing its stuff.

1030449.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Panasonic G1 with 45mm, f/2.8 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit

Barrie

Paul, your little "hop crop" fellow looks as though he is asleep, no doubt I just can't see his eye. Amazing the way he matches his surrounding, isn't it?

Barrie - wonderful poppy with friends image - beautiful lighting!

I was in another town and took a wander down to a water mill, where I found Demoiselles, both species, in their dozens and dozens ... and I only had a 20mm lens with me ... I'll go back another day very soon with the 70-300 ... in the meantime, here is a very large not quite in focus crop ...

View attachment 38549
demoiselles by _loupe, on Flickr

handheld as always, but also standing on a wobbly chair with the lens wide open and ISO800 ... so I do apologise for the hamfisted quality ... but the wing patterns are so lovely ... also I'm hoping Barrie will tell me what it is

View attachment 38683
MOFF by _loupe, on Flickr
E-P2, Tamron SP 90/2.5, 1/40s, f/2.5, ISO800

They have a Gazebo and fountain which normally runs at my Apartment complex. However, the fountain wasn't running but there was water in it. They have lots of flowers around it with bees, moths, butterflies..etc.

At any rate, I found this guy. Taken with the Olympus 14-42 at 42mm. First is the original image, the second is a pixel level crop. I think the critter is a Emerald Geometer maybe? Don't know.

P7036714_scale.JPG

P7036714_crop.JPG

The Golden-ringed Dragonfly (Cordulegaster boltonii) is the biggest European dragonfly and one of the most beautiful ones. In some areas this dragonfly has become nearly extinct and so I am very happy that I could take two pictures of this wonderful insect during a long walk with my Canon PowerShot G12:

20110710_102956.jpg

20110710_103307.jpg

I have not cropped these pictures.

Back