W/NW Signs of Fall.

leaves101.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Chris, you may be seeing diffraction softening at f/8 in some photos. I recall Nikon issuing an advisory for the D810 about this. I have probably got the URL somewhere.

My 14-54 MkII can show clear diffraction softening at f/7.1 in highly specific circumstances on my 12 MPx E-30. Totally undetectable in 99% of photos, even at f/11.

Chris, you may be seeing diffraction softening at f/8 in some photos. I recall Nikon issuing an advisory for the D810 about this. I have probably got the URL somewhere.

My 14-54 MkII can show clear diffraction softening at f/7.1 in highly specific circumstances on my 12 MPx E-30. Totally undetectable in 99% of photos, even at f/11.
Well this was another shoot through an open window in a mildly moving car example. If I can’t safely shoot a full frame camera at f8, there’s a much bigger issue. I’m an f8 and be there kinda guy, (or f5.6 on APSC or f4 on m4/3), so I certainly hope that’s not the case here. But the tests will continue.

Well this was another shoot through an open window in a mildly moving car example. If I can’t safely shoot a full frame camera at f8, there’s a much bigger issue. I’m an f8 and be there kinda guy, (or f5.6 on APSC or f4 on m4/3), so I certainly hope that’s not the case here. But the tests will continue.
I'm with you there, Chris - I can, with no visible penalty, shoot my Z 7 II at f/8 and f/11 regardless of the lens *and* trust I.B.I.S. down to 1/15" (at least) to help me get shots (files) that are crisp at the pixel level. And I can be pretty obsessive about smeared out pixels, whatever the reason. Why have a high-megapixel body if the images are mushy?

Your last image has beautiful tones (colours, but also shadow detail) - but have you tried serious highlight recovery? If it was me, I'd want to know what's possible there as well ...

M.

I'm with you there, Chris - I can, with no visible penalty, shoot my Z 7 II at f/8 and f/11 regardless of the lens *and* trust I.B.I.S. down to 1/15" (at least) to help me get shots (files) that are crisp at the pixel level. And I can be pretty obsessive about smeared out pixels, whatever the reason. Why have a high-megapixel body if the images are mushy?

Your last image has beautiful tones (colours, but also shadow detail) - but have you tried serious highlight recovery? If it was me, I'd want to know what's possible there as well ...

M.
I have tried highlight recovery, and actually find this sensor perhaps does better at it than boosting shadows oddly. In this shot I had two things working against me for the highlights- I was shooting into the sun, and I was using their “evaluative” metering, which I’m not a fan of. I’ve switched to spot metering for now, and would like to look for ways to better protect highlights when shooting. Still a lot to learn with this camera.

Back