Sony Underwhelming firmware update for RX100 Mk I

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Sony have posted a firmware update for the RX100 Mk I. The windows version is here but the benefits are virtually non-existent:

• Improve the vibration and sound noise of the lens during auto-focusing
Personally I have never experienced an issue with the noise of the lens. There are plenty of other usability gripes that they could have fixed. I don't think I'll bother with this one.

I own a RX100M3, so the firmware doesn't apply to me. But Dennis' mention that the Movie button can be disabled led me to check to see if that feature was already included in the M3. And sure enough, it is! So thanks for mentioning it. I too have shot a series of unwanted 10 sec video clips by accident. But after disabling the button, that's no longer a concern.

I have a mk 2 and while it's growing on me I wish they would get rid of the crappy useless filters and give ND 3 & 3 stop bracketing! Please

You can disable the movie button!

They did that for the NEX-7 too. If I remember correctly about a year after the camera came out; long after the first complaints about the awkward position/accidental triggering and stressed out users demonstrating their skills with glue, o-rings and other stuff on the web.

Back