Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 21-31)

Well my video card on my desktop just crapped out on me. So I'm going to try and get the processing of the rest of the days done on my laptop.

Well, the snow which was meant for the East coast of the States seems to have ended up on the West coast of Scotland. Horrible, wet, fluffy stuff which melts on contact - can't even get a decent snowscape out of it. Roll on Spring!

Today's drive back home from work was really quite frustrating: Gorgeous views - and absolutely no chance to stop and take pictures. Oh, well - still, I grabbed a shot or two during the day; have to post later (or tomorrow) because I have to be some place. Still keeping at it ...

M.

Hello all,

Still not able to connect normally to the site... Only with Tapatalk or with a borrowed 3G card :( Will try to sort this over weekend, but would appreciate any tips. Looks like a security issue.

This is specially disappointing, since I've spent several nights away and was expecting to browse and comment on the gallery while at the hotel.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments on my photos. It's not a problem for me if this time around the nr of comments is smaller, not used to the past, I appreciate the ones I'm getting. Thank you!

José

Hi all, I bombed out a few days ago. I really wasn't bonding with the 35mm lens on the X-E1. I know it's a very well regarded lens, and it was clearly very sharp, but I found the focal length too restricting - I guess I'm too used to wider angles and see the world that way. I have now sold my X-E1 kit; to be honest I never really got on with any of the lenses for one reason or another. With the proceeds I bought a travel zoom (TZ60), and an X100 which turned out to be quite scruffy so that's going back. I may yet decide to get something else instead of the X100, I really have trouble being decisive!!

I've really enjoyed this challenge. I wanted to say thank you to everyone for the comments on my images. Helps me build some confidence in my abilities. I have learned how best to use and process images from the epl5. The files definitely can't take a whole lot of abuse without showing grain but I'll have to get some images printed before I make a final decision on how it performs.

As to my lack on commenting on photos here lately. Most of what I want to say had already been said and I feel that just saying "great shot" or something to that sort isn't very good commenting.

I think in February I'm going to use my X-T1 more and see what kind of abuse those files can take. I love the smaller size of the X-T1 and EPL-5 but if the files are going to limit me than I'd rather upgrade to a FF (most likely Sony, although that NX1 looks really nice too), because I'd like to eventually make money off my images. One thing I'm going to really have to test with the X-T1 is how a fairly large print looks with trees/foliage because of the "watercolor" effect as I enjoy doing more landscape shots than portraits. But if I get into portraits I will likely keep the X-T1 and get a different camera for doing landscapes.

Having my G5 out and about with me every day is no hardship - I do that anyway. It's been a good experience as far as I'm concerned because some days (outwith the challenge) I don't find a single keeper from my efforts and this has forced me to look at my images differently and find something in the image which tickles me. Normally, I don't do very much cropping as I find my composition skills are 'okay' but with some of my SiJ images I've trimmed a wee bit here and there.

Honestly? Looking forward to the finish line but I'll miss the feedback. (y)

Hello SIJ Photographers,
Having trouble sharing my last few days photographs in the gallery.
Don't have the time to unravel the reasons.
It has been a good and busy month.
The last few will be here:

James Hawker

Thanks for all your kind notes and good work.
JH

I did take an image every day this week, but no time to upload. Maybe tonight, or else tomorrow together with the last one!:)

Good critique that has extra value is sometimes hard to give, but I can also say I'll miss recieving critique.

The penultimate photo on the penultimate day is a sight for sore eyes. Not the image itself, just that it's the second to last of this challenge which is not to say I haven't thoroughly enjoyed it (well, mostly). It'll be good to decide for myself whether or not I 'want' to capture an image as opposed to I 'have' to do so. Despite always having my camera about my person, I don't always find something interesting...

I've noticed that this third has produced some stunning images - overall better throughput/quality than the first two (I know this is subjective, but just my opionin :)) ... anyone else seen the same?

Back