Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 21-31)

Still hanging in, every day a shot with E-PL7 + Olympus 17/1.8. Managed to get more photos than on a regular month, the catch is having to upload some that I wouldn't normaly do. Anyway, practice is always good.

José

Still in, but having doubts about doing this again in the future. Not because of the limitations of shooting something every day with the same camera/lens setup, that has always been pretty easy to do. In fact I do not quite understand the issues with not being able to use other cameras during this period, just take both, shoot with one for the challenge, then shoot whatever you want with the other. My frustrations with this event have more to with my feeling of a lack of interest and participation by the group on this site, this time around. I might be wrong but that is just the way it seems to me.

I'm holding up well for my first time, I think.

Of course along with other members I wouldn't have chosen to upload some of the images I captured but needs must, eh?

We're in the final week!!

Even if I had a couple of close shaves and had to make do with some emergency stuff lacking real value, I find the challenge very rewarding - it's tough sometimes, but I learn lots and have a real incentive to look at other participants' images. It's probably true that there has been a considerable drop in interest and maybe commitment, too, but there's still enough going on to keep things interesting.

M.

I quit on the 20th. The winter blues has got me bad. I feel like selling off all my gear, but I'll wait awhile and see if the feeling passes. I will catch up on the gallery as time permits. You guys (and gals) all are doing great....keep at it. You're nearly to the finish line.

I'm still determined to see this to the end, got one thing I want to tryout for this challenge that I've been meaning to do for a couple of years but never got around to doing it.

I think many of us feel that we're uploading stuff we're not really happy with just for the sake of it, to satisfy the challenge...... I can't see how this is of benefit to anyone. I think we should have a rethink for next time (and I'm not just saying that because I'm one of those who can't stick to the single lens/camera combo :tongue:) I need to put my thinking cap on but I've got to admire the more creative of us!

As I have a stated before I think sometimes we think too much, there are interesting images all around us, the secret is seeing them. Just follow the light.
Maybe forcing oneself to take an image a day seems contrived and unnatural to many of us. Honestly without this challenge there are many times I can go for days with out shooting anything, but just as easily I can shoot every day if inspired. There are a number interest/hobbies where I have a bought a bunch of stuff, ( audio recording, rc vehicles, etc) that sits there unused because my excitement for the activity was less that I thought it would be, once I played with it. On the other hand there is other things that I am for sure I want to learn and play with but I find the learning curve and commitment at this point daunting, ( my guitars and ukes).
The images I have posted here are far from the greatest things I have shot but on the other hand they are all fine for what this thing is, having fun and expressing myself. I enjoy being a photographer, sharing the images and observing others photographic visions.

I find it very helpful to get forced consequently every day the look as a photographer, for opportunities (follow the light..).
I don't set the bar high. I consider myself happy if I have an ok shot, and feel lucky on the days I have a good one.
And I'm still having fun, but also glad it will be over after next week:p

I quit on the 20th. The winter blues has got me bad. I feel like selling off all my gear, but I'll wait awhile and see if the feeling passes. I will catch up on the gallery as time permits. You guys (and gals) all are doing great....keep at it. You're nearly to the finish line.

I'm sorry to hear that, Luke. Wish I could share a little dram to brighten up the situation a little ... (I'm not advocating drowning your sorrows, far from it, just relaxing a little if time allows - sometimes it's essential, and all that's needed; sadly, it's not always possible).

M.

I don't find the camera/lens the limiting factor. Much worse is the simply finding the time to shoot during what is for me a busy time of year. I need to remember next time to get a faster lens since I take many shots before dawn or after dusk.

Virtual hugs being sent your way Luke, winter won't be with us much longer. Spring is just a few weeks away so hang in there. Put your camera gear in a safe place until you feel like picking it up again.

I haven't been in the mood to go out and shoot pictures this month. Wasn't feel great at the beginning of the year, so many different cold strains working their way around our office, as soon as I got rid of one strain I'd catch another. I started the month shooting pictures of toys just to play the single in January game and am finding, not the camera, but thinking up ideas for setting and props has been my biggest headache. I'm thinking it would have been easier to have just gone outside and shot regular pictures. I'm glad I didn't though. I'm usually a "shoot what I see" kind of photographer. I don't set up shots or have an idea of what I am looking for before I snap the shot when I'm shooting outside. I tend to let the images come to me. Having to plan it all out is a new way of working for me. It's been interesting but I will be glad when the 31st is finished and I can put the toys away.

Luke, you need light with bluer wavelengths. And whisky. Lots of blue light and whiskey. This works for me, even when I forget to turn on the light.

I've been staying away from the whiskey for my wife.....I tend to snore more after the whiskey. But I've been making up for it with the tequila.... and sleeping in the guest bedroom.....the tequila doesn't make me snore any less. :alcoholic:

I kind of dropped out back when I said I was saddle sore. I've managed one more (yesterday) but nothing for today, and even though theres still half a day left... I have no inclination to search the yard for that one blade of grass as yet unphotographed. I think I'm done.

Back