RX1 for $1400.

last word from me on this thread. one, you cannot meaningfully improve on this lens at its size and weight; two, 24mp is already too much for alot of people in several ways: its more than 75% of everyone needs to take pictures of their kids/cats/dogs, the files are big and take up space and are slow to load and edit. at 36mp--like the a7r--resolution is better, but these problems are compounded and high iso is compromised. thus this will not be obsolete. like i said, when the market passes it by, be sure to let us know. in the meantime we'll be building up a pretty impressive portfolio.

having said that, i also believe the x100 will not be obsolete because its results are beautiful (though an order of magnitude less than the rx1) and the hybrid vf and ergonomics means that it will pretty much always have a place in the market. as will the m8. as will my lowly but much loved and used 6mp rd1.

having been an x100 owner i often engage in the same IQ/cost calculus luke described vs my rx1. i really love the x100 rendering. but the rx1 rez or microcontrast is just so much better, plus the better build quality, better evf, and almost most important i find i pick up almost two full stops in IQ at high iso/lowlight. certainly though depending on preferences, need and style, i can see choosing the original x100.

btw, i do agree that the evf and external grip take the rx1 from a very good tool to an excellent tool. personally, i wouldnt own and/or be so enthused about it without both--they really enhance the experience.

That totally makes sense.

I picked up the original X100 again last night, goofing off while cooking with my daughter, and remembered all over again what a capable little tool it is, much less a friendly companion.

I've been looking for the camera at the $1400 price point since this thread started and they seem to have evaporated. If anyone sees them again at this price please post a link and I'll be all over it immediately.
Thanks.

Paul, if a minty, used one will do, you might consider sending Kyle a private message. His sold for around $1,400 on eBay, but last I heard the buyer hadn't finished the deal yet. I've bought camera from him before and he's a straight shooter.

I've been looking for the camera at the $1400 price point since this thread started and they seem to have evaporated. If anyone sees them again at this price please post a link and I'll be all over it immediately.
Thanks.

it must be in the same place as the new $800 a7 with kit lens. ):

While I love my RX1r more than I thought I would, it is amazing,every camera will be left in the dust by new technology at some point. Some times it takes longer than others. The only thing that will stop a new camera from doing better in the future than a RX1 is the market drying up so much that the camera companies stop making super high end small cameras. Sony was supposed to introduce a new RX1 type camera at Photokina last year, one with a curved chip for improved edge performance, why didn't they. Could be the technology was not there yet or maybe they think that market is already sliding in demand.

Thanks.

They restocked this morning. You can still see it listed if you looked under digital cameras. It only shows up here on days they stock it in the morning. There were a few around at 11am. They didn't last long.

rx12.jpg

I'm still hesitant since Sony sells them refurbished for $1300. Sony doesn't refresh their stock very often. Last year they popped up 3 or 4 times. My experience with Sony refurbs are that they are indistinguishable from new.

last word from me on this thread. one, you cannot meaningfully improve on this lens at its size and weight; two, 24mp is already too much for alot of people in several ways: its more than 75% of everyone needs to take pictures of their kids/cats/dogs

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates

Are you still using a computer with 640K? As with memory, more MP allows for more interesting things to be done. Many of those things have yet to be thought of. Time and time again, statements like "already too much" are made by people who can't envision the future. As for me, there can never be too many MP. For no other reason that once we have the pixel density, we can store diffraction patterns and thus shoot holograms.

Sony was supposed to introduce a new RX1 type camera at Photokina last year, one with a curved chip for improved edge performance, why didn't they. Could be the technology was not there yet or maybe they think that market is already sliding in demand.

This may be the prelude to a replacement. Best Buy seems to be selling off all their stock at this reduced price. That's why it's coming in drips. They are putting them up as they get recalled from the stores and warehouses. The samething happened with the A6000 last month. On DPR, people are reporting that they can't find a Best Buy with an A6000 in stock. So the speculation is that this is the prelude to the announcement of the A7000.

Generally, the high end cameras are price controlled by Sony. The A6000 definitely is. A vendor can't sell it at a reduced price unless they get the OK from Sony. So Best Buy selling the RX1 at half price should be a Sony approved price. Generally Sony does that when it's time is at an end. Half off seems to be what Sony sells it's cameras for at the end of the line. They did that for every NEX that's come before. I remember when the NEX 6 went. One day it was full price. The next it went half price at Best Buy. In a few days they were all gone. Then the A6000 showed up.

From dpr posts, it was posted that Sony doesn't accept the returns back and/or they let the stores sell it at whatever price they want to sell. That is why they were saying you can find cheaper Sony products in your local Besbuy stores as open items. You can check it online, but I found mostly Samsung gear then Sony since that is what Bestbuy stores sell these days... Bestbuy sells high end gear online...

Sony has curved sensor in its new cellphone, but not as a big sensor. I have not seen any RX2 rumors lately as Sony closed their leaks lately to SAR, so we'll see if they are going to release anything at the CP+ show in Feb... There were previously rumors about A9 and A7000... Currently both B&H and Adorama has a trade in deal for A7's until the end of Jan:

Bildschirmfoto-2015-01-18-um-10.23.44.png

It's in stock right this second!!!!

Update: And now back to OOS. I think they reload every morning. But people are hip to it now so it doesn't last very long.

congrats and good luck with it. my suggestion, shoot raw, and im not a raw guy. i say this because coming from the wonderful fuji jpeg engine sonys doe not compare, imo. the raw sony files are awesome. also keep in mind going from apsc to ff you will have one stop less DOF at a given aperture than youre used to. look forward to seeing your results.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I shoot raw and jpeg with the Fuji cameras as well as with the D800E. I rarely do anything with the jpegs, though. It will be interesting to see how LR does with the Sony raw files.

This will most likely be a combination pocket camera and video camera for me.

Paul, if a minty, used one will do, you might consider sending Kyle a private message. His sold for around $1,400 on eBay, but last I heard the buyer hadn't finished the deal yet. I've bought camera from him before and he's a straight shooter.

Thanks, Luke! I am kind of back pedaling now... noodling on keeping the camera now at this resale price. I may just try to go EVF-less for a while and see how that goes. :D

I'm still hesitant since Sony sells them refurbished for $1300.

Oh really, actual Sony refurbs? Interesting. The ones I saw in the past from Sony were higher priced, but then there were some 3rd party refurbs that were cheaper.

Oh really, actual Sony refurbs? Interesting. The ones I saw in the past from Sony were higher priced, but then there were some 3rd party refurbs that were cheaper.

Yes, directly from the Sony store. They also sold the RX100M2 for $279. I've tried getting that a few times but always lose out. There aren't that many when they stock up. The competition is tough.

On another note, Sofmap in Japan was selling the original RX100 for 23,800 yen as a holiday special. After the conversion to USD and the tourist discounts, it ended up being about $170. That's an all time low. That's a lot of camera for not so many dollars.

Back