Old Photos

Now, you see you've found my soft spot, I absolutely love old photos. To me it's why we take pictures - so that someone can look at them many years down the line and let their imagination run wild! Photos are more than just pretty pictures like the ones we tend to take today, they're an excellent record of past lives - in many cases of people who had a hand in making us what we are. We should treasure them.

When I was working in photo labs, just about my favorite work was copying and printing old pictures -- usually a 4x5 negative and the best print I could manage. Something about knowing these anonymous (to me) people were loved and their memories cherished touched me deeply. I think it was the most important work I did, and I worked very hard to make them good reproductions.

I found this picture of my mother and me taken 18 years ago, when she celebrated Mother's Day here in Albuquerque. Taken on a Polaroid, about 2 3/4" x 2", it was a challenge to work with. But I love the photo, and the fact that she passed away in February and that this is the first year I will not be sending my mother flowers, makes it even more special. She had a profound capacity to enjoy herself and a smile that could light up a room. Happy Mother's Day, dear.

i-bWZNjCd-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My mother and her twin, my uncle Lloyd, would have been 100 years old today. I went to the Santuario de Chimayo, lit a candle, even if my "faith" long ago fled. She'd have liked the gesture. Than I went and had ice cream and cake at a cafe she liked here in Albuquerque:
Mum Lloyd infants.jpg

When I was working as a black and white photo tech at a custom lab, my favorite job was the copy work. I loved working on these old photos, each with a story, each saved and copied out of love. It convinced me that notwithstanding all the great and important photographic art out there, these are the most important pictures taken. I don't have know the people in it for an old picture to touch my heart.

Back