Micro 4/3 LX100 strikes again -- sunset at Oakwood Cemetery Christmas 2014

nice cloud shapes, Jock... was it as blue as that, though? (thinking white balance)

Sue,

WB was on sunshine. "As blue as that?" Not sure . . . there were definitely blues, purples, reds -- the subtlety and range of tones was much greater than the photos deliver. Trying to take it all in, just looking at it, let alone trying to capture it, was like trying to drink from a fire hose!

I fiddled the tone curve:

LX100_Oakwood_Cemetery_Christmas_2014_013_DxO_copy_DxO_Medium_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LX100_Oakwood_Cemetery_Christmas_2014_047_DxO_copy_DxO_Medium_.jpg

LX100_Oakwood_Cemetery_Christmas_2014_054_DxO_copy_DxO_Medium_.jpg

It also points out how far I have yet to go in actually learning how to use my cameras . . .

Cheers, Jock

I really like that first one.....especially the crepuscular rays at back left

Luke,

Yeah, I really liked the rays too. I tried zooming in on them, then I ran into what Ray Sachs said brilliantly in another thread:

"The sky and the clouds are HUGE and all of the peripheral darkness or whatever makes them seem that much more dramatic and there's so much that goes into making a gorgeous sunset seem so dramatic in real life. And then you take a photo that either pushes it away with a wide angle lens or draws it in with a telephoto (but only a really small PART of it) and shoves it all into a tiny little two dimensional frame. You have to try to compose what's going into that tiny frame with an eye toward the final image, but you're still doing fundamentally destructive work here. And then you pull the image up on the computer and all of that drama is GONE. So then you have to work with the information hiding in the file to make it more dramatic - to bring the impact back. The irony is you're making it far less accurate but you're doing a better job of conveying what you were experiencing visually and emotionally when you saw it. So what's more realistic - an "accurate" shot that doesn't convey the drama of what you saw and felt, or a dressed up shot that's less realistic but conveys the visual and emotional more clearly? I say Door Number 2 Monty!"

That quote actually encouraged me, because it helped me realize the challenge that I face whenever I try to capture the grandeur of the sky. Sometimes the disparity between what I see with my eyes and what I capture with the camera makes it a kind of bittersweet process, but the fun is in the trying. And it all started yesterday because my wife said "It's a nice day, let's get the dogs out. . .

Cheers, Jock

If you're nearsighted or have glasses that let you see good close-up, then with just a little imagination those images open up and reveal a lot of drama.

If you're nearsighted or have glasses that let you see good close-up, then with just a little imagination those images open up and reveal a lot of drama.

Dale,

You're right; based on your comment, I just put these images up on a 32-inch screen. I think these are images that would benefit from being printed big.

Cheers, Jock

Back