Single in January 2015 - register your interest

Last time I used my GR and shot only hi-contrast mono. It concentrated the mind wonderfully.

This time my plan is to get myself familiar and confident with the X100S; I had an X100 in the past and didn't quite get on with it. I also intend to use the TCL-X100 a bit too. My self-imposed constraint this time will be OVF-only.

Seeing you all chime in, makes this very tempting. I'd like to say I'll try to give it a go, however my computer is going to have to go into the emergency room very soon...so I'm not sure how I'll be able to post unless I can continue to use my iPhone 5 as my photographic tool. If you all are AOK with my tool, I'll join you?

I'd love to get back into using my X100, but without a laptop, I just don't see it happening.

Oh BB. So great to see you again my dear old friend. :friends:

Always been a fan of your iPhonography, so look forward to seeing where you both end up during the middle month of Winter (in your neck of woods anyways)

Just joined but am a subscribing member of MU-43.

I'd like to take part and will do my level best to contend with the January weather in this part of Scotland!

Welcome aboard mate. Any ideas at this early stage which body and lens you'll stick with for the month?

Oh BB. So great to see you again my dear old friend. :friends:

Always been a fan of your iPhonography, so look forward to seeing where you both end up during the middle month of Winter (in your neck of woods anyways)

Welcome aboard mate. Any ideas at this early stage which body and lens you'll stick with for the month?

EDIT: Aye, I just bought (5 mins ago) a minty, brand new in the box Tokina SZ-X 270 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 and this will be the perfect opportunity to learn its quirks and foibles (as well as my own). :2thumbs:

Count me in. I have to decide what to actually (and precisely!) make the challenge, though, because I have quite a lot of different objectives to cover for early 2015. I actually have three immediate options:

1) Use the Olympus E-M10 with 17mm f/1.8 exclusively for the challenge. I really haven't gone to the bottom of what that combo can do, and I have severely neglected the lens since adding the 12-40mm to my kit. I suspect shooting the E-M10 with this compact and capable lens would reveal a renewed experience of what the camera I since made my workhorse could (and probablly should) actually be: small, light, fun. On a side note: Would (occasionally) adding a flash be allowed? As 1b), I could try using the above setup with the Nissin i40 and its softbox for people photography once every day - something I want to try my hand at anyway (I'm in the course of really learning flash photography at the moment).

My second and third choices involve a whole different aspect: Scanning. I bought a good scanner a while ago, but since I am a GNU/Linux user, I haven't gone the whole mile and made it work the best way it could. I actually found a comprehensive how-to, so it'd be possible, but have shied away from implementing it - so that's overdue. However, it adds a lot of gear fiddling to a challenge whose main allure is to simply use your gear, so I'd love someone to comment on the other two options:

2) Use the Lomo.Instant once a day, scan the daily results. This camera is so simple that making worthwhile pictures with it is a challenge *every single time*. On a side note, I could also get those pictures using my old Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D on the D90 - another challenge I want to try (lighting!). So there's sort of a 2b), too (but it'd mean avoiding setting up the scanner again - oh, well ...).

3) Shoot a roll of film in January (i.e. 31 images of a 36 roll), have the negatives developed, scan them, post them - but this'd happen post festum, so it'd surely not be ideal. Anyway, I'd use my Nikon FM3a with Voigtländer 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SLII for that - accidentally, there are 31 frames left on it. The main reason for that pick would be that though I love handling the combo, I appear not to have wrapped my head around getting satisfying pictures out of it yet.

So, what would you pick - or like to see? Obviously, only 1) and 2) offer a way of participating in the daily posting ...

M.

Just a practical tip for those contemplating their "weapon of choice"; if you are going to go the distance, you don't want to encumber yourself with a big camera or lens; what you select has go "fit in" with your life for 31 days. This is truly a time to choose a serious compact that can go everywhere with you.

Just a practical tip for those contemplating their "weapon of choice"; if you are going to go the distance, you don't want to encumber yourself with a big camera or lens; what you select has go "fit in" with your life for 31 days. This is truly a time to choose a serious compact that can go everywhere with you.

I know this comment was meant to be a general one and not directed at me in particular, but I certainly hear you :)

On the other hand, it *sould* be a challenge - but of course, making it too difficult or cumbersome might mean imminent failure. Besides, I just got the scanner to work (not in the way I intended, but nevertheless), so I don't need another incentive to actually do it any more. Still, I am grateful for the opportunity to get this off my back.

I'll use the E-M10 with the 17mm f/1.8. No flash (at all).

M.

trying to build up the courage to commit to this - if I do it I will use my beloved K30 and my new FA 28mm which I bought 2 weeks ago on ebay.
For some reason I really don't like wide angle (even allowing for the 43mm FoV inc crop factor) but I did buy it to force me to try something new, but it is a focal length I don't enjoy or have trouble 'seeing' at the moment.
Maybe a single challenge with a new lens will help as Im disillusioned with my output lately and feeling very uninspired

My posting might be in batches as internet will not be available every day for the first half of the month..

better say Hi as well, its been a while, I have been a professional lurker for too long

This thread/challenge seems to have awaken this forum (my home away from home:)), at least, more than I've seen in a while. It has even put some anticipation into me! which has been missing for a while. I really enjoyed the last SIJ. I needed the wake up. I plan to work at this one too. .

This thread/challenge seems to have awaken this forum (my home away from home:)), at least, more than I've seen in a while. It has even put some anticipation into me! which has been missing for a while. I really enjoyed the last SIJ. I needed the wake up. I plan to work at this one too. .

Steve, mate, this is so good to hear. Not only as it is a serious intent of the "Single In..." challenges but because I only recently realised how I missed the spirit of this place - great to know it remains at its heart - even if it aint Serious Compacts no more.

Might be prudent to conduct another head-count ...so everyone, find their buddies and....

Luke - RX1
Briar - TBA
Lightmancer - X100S
drd1135 - X100S
christlou - TBA
ReD - TBA
PJacobs - X-E1 + 18-55mm
carlb - Stylus-1
trisberg - A7 + fast50 or X100
Covey22 - X-E1 + 18-55mm
ChangshaNotes - X100T
kyteflyer - TBA
bilzmale - Canon G5 (IR)
marlof - EM5 or EM1 + PL25 (oh what a sweet, sweet lens!)
Darren Bonner - GX7 + PL25 (ibid)
Matero - X100S
BillN - DP3M
ajrameriz - TBA
snkenai - Panasonic G5 + OM50/1.8
Phoenix - XP1 + XF35/1.4
donlaw - X100T or Coolpix A
Ripleysbaby - GH3 + 35-100mm
Woody112704 - EPL-5 + 40-150 4-5.6R
my dearest BBW - iPhone5
Itchybiscuit - Panasonic G5 + Tokina SZ-X 270 28-70mm f3.5-4.5
theoldsmithy - X-E1 + XF35/1.4
MoonMind - E-M10 + 17/1.8
mmacleodbrown - K30 + FA28/2.8
stillshunter - X100S

OK, so have I missed anyone? Buddies do you have your hand-held by someone? Does any buddy not have any body?

I'm having to think quite carefully as I should be going back to Spain for a week on the 4th. I already took the RX1 a couple of weeks ago and found the 35mm focal length left me all at sea and longing for my 50mm. I could take the M and force myself to go slow or the A7R with a 50, either the af 55 or a manual 50mm.......

Back