Birds Rescued bird - Leica 'D-Lux'

D

dalethorn

Another rescued bird who banged into a window, warming up to fly. I have quite a few images from this great camera now, but haven't been able to work on them due to other projects getting in the way. The 800 ISO was accidental, since I was operating quickly and didn't check the settings. At f6.3, more of the bird should be in focus, but there may be some feather smearing that looks out-of-focus, or the shallow DOF may have something to do with the lens-barrel switch being set to 'Macro'.

Leica D-Lux, f6.3, 1/250 handheld, ISO 800.
Bird_Vireo02_s.jpg

He or she is incredibly cute - and I love the disgruntled look on its face! What kind is it? I'm sure I should know. At first I thought it was a baby Mockingbird, but that couldn't be possible at this time of year.

Completely off topic, I didn't realize you were from Charleston, Dale. I'll be heading down there in April...and hope to hit some nice jazz spots and more downtown. Now that we live a bit farther north than we used to, I'm thinking about a southern move.;)

That would be normal DOF at that distance Dale, but the eyes are sharpe and that's what matters. any idea what the young bird is? nice shot

Thanks - as far as I could tell from a couple of bird books, it would be a Vireo. It's very small, like the small sparrows commonly referred to as House Finches, and the weight no more than one ounce.

He or she is incredibly cute - and I love the disgruntled look on its face! What kind is it? I'm sure I should know. At first I thought it was a baby Mockingbird, but that couldn't be possible at this time of year. Completely off topic, I didn't realize you were from Charleston, Dale. I'll be heading down there in April...and hope to hit some nice jazz spots and more downtown. Now that we live a bit farther north than we used to, I'm thinking about a southern move.;)

I hope you're not a huge fan of Starbucks, so you can visit City Lights coffee around the corner in Charleston, near the Market. It's the hotbed of Charleston intrigue as I often refer to it - very friendly and the ace photographers (not I necessarily) hang out there.

Back