Nikon Coolpix A $399 at BH/Amazon

I saw that Amin, but it seems to be only the silver one that's that cheap. This has led to speculation that Nikon really is killing this camera rather than getting ready to release an upgrade. I don't want to buy a backup if there's a chance a new one is coming - I'd like to see what the upgrade has to offer and then either eventually buy one of those or THEN buy a backup of the first one cheap. I guess I'll wait and see if anything is announced by next Spring. If not, I'm sure I'll still be able to find a backup Coolpix A for even less on ebay or something. But at $399, it's tough to resist just grabbing one now.

It's really a sweet little camera... If I didn't already have one, I'd probably buy one now. OTOH, if I didn't already have one it would probably be because I didn't have any desire for one, so I might not buy it at this price either. In any case, I don't have any regrets of having bought it at full price nearly two years ago now. I figure I've paid about $35-30 per month rental for the many months I've been able to shoot with it, and that seems reasonable to me for a camera I've gotten this much use out of.

-Ray

I'm really on the fence with this one. Love my LX100 and probably don't need both, but this price is awesome.

I'm tempted as well, but 28/2.8 just doesn't excite me. The price is crazy, but I can't quite justify buying something I don't really want just because it is a bargain. But I am trying. :)

I'm really on the fence with this one. Love my LX100 and probably don't need both, but this price is awesome.

You know what, Amin? I have the Ricoh GR and the Fuji X100T but I still plan on getting something like the LX100 or the Sony RX100 III. All have or will get use in different circumstances. At $399, I'd pick up the Coolpix A if I were you. The risk is very low and there'll be certain situations in which there will be no substitute. If you unpack it carefully, you can always try it out for a week and send it back if you find that's not the case.

The price is crazy, but I can't quite justify buying something I don't really want just because it is a bargain.

I've been doing a lot of that lately, thanks to SlickDeals. For example, somehow I am wearing a Pebble smartwatch right now, and I was sure I would never consider a watch that I had to charge! Love the watch though :redface:.

I carried my Coolpix A in the Leica 18727 case made for the D-Lux6 (LX7). It's maximally compact and hands-free, doesn't identify one as a photographer, etc. Perfect to take to places where a camera bag would look out of place.

It is a great camera and an incredible price. Grab one before they are gone. I find the 28mm works well as long as you are willing to move in close to your subject. And of course it is great landscapes, sunsets, buildings, etc. Sold my RX100 for the Coolpix A and haven't missed having the zoom at all.

Back