Featured: 'Nikon V3 and 70-300cx excels at Surf Photography' by The Smoking Camera

Name
Joe Marquez
The Nikon V3 and 70-300cx lens may be the ultimate lightweight surf photography combo.
This combo gets me to 800mm without a tripod or monopod.
Works best in good light, but does OK under less than ideal conditions.
Today I took a few photos at the Billabong Pipe Masters on the north shore of Oahu.
This is the final leg of the Vans Triple Crown surf competition in Hawaii.
Started off cloudy but as the day progressed the sun came out and the waves become larger and larger.
Waves become so large and wind picked up so competition was suspended.
Lots of broken surfboards but surfers unharmed.
Here are a few photos from round 2.
Enjoy.

p395135327-5.jpg

p630285766-5.jpg

p851385172-5.jpg

p707927567-5.jpg

p24983144-5.jpg

p380696814-5.jpg

p307473865-5.jpg

p198662775-5.jpg

p324584902-5.jpg

p419047701-5.jpg

Excellent, really like these. The framing and compression in the second shot works really well in pulling the ocean background right in, but those action shots, 1 and 7 in particular are fantastic. Mad waves...and looks like a great offshore to hold 'em up too.

Really great to see super tele focal lengths in action in this way...I'm off on a 2 week surfing trip this summer and have purchased the Panasonic 100-300mm (200-600mm eqv) to pair up with my Pana GX7 specifically for surf photography.

Very appreciative to receive your comments. Didn't realize the lens is still in short supply. Bad Nikon. However, I am aware of the short supply of sun and surf in the UK. Livinius, 200 to 600 is a nice zoom range for surf. The waves were so large at Pipeline I had too pull back from 800mm most of the day. RT Panter, definitely blessed to live in Hawaii. Dave CT01, I suppose a tripod would help, but I don't think very much. My shutter speeds were typically 1/1000 or faster and I was panning for the most part. The most difficult issue regarding IQ IMHO is shooting through mist and spray. The closer to the beach the worse the problem. Overall, a very fun experience shooting surf with the V3 and 70-300cx.

Great work, Joe! I really do think that the 1" sensor has a bright future and that money spent on lenses like the 70-300CX will pay off with improvements in the V4, V5, etc…

Keeping my fingers crossed.

John, I hope you are right about the future of Nikon 1. Would love Nikon to produce a fast super telephoto prime like a 400, 500 or 600 (1080, 1350 or 1620mm equivalent). Would really shake up the bird, wildlife and sports photography world. If they can make a 70-300 native lens this sharp I am certain they can produce a great prime. The Nikon 32/1.2 is a good example. Thanks Ray. Pretty amusing seeing everyone's bazooka lenses on tripods and my little rig hanging around my neck. Thanks Nic. Those big breakers in the background look awesome. Very happy with the second image as well.

Wow, great stuff. What an excellent ad for the Nikon 1. Makes me wonder why they don't apply all the same technology to a DX version.

Thanks everyone. Very honored to have this post featured. Sorry Sue for throwing a wrench in your plans. These photos are a good example of the sweet spot of the Nikon 1 system. Unfortunately, I missed the finals of the Pipeline Masters (I'm shooting ballet at the moment). However, if a big swell comes in I may take and post a few more photos with this combo. Thanks again.

Back