Featured: 'Nikon V3 and 70-300cx excels at Surf Photography' by The Smoking Camera

Thanks pete. Here are a couple of surfer girl paddler images while shooting into the sun in the late afternoon. Cropped and a little postwork in lightroom.

p67887517-5.jpg

p201713032-5.jpg

These are absolutely stunning!
Have you printed any of these yet? Some of them look like they could have come straight from a surf catalogue - that good!
Trying to get similar reach on a FF or APS-C system and you would be carrying around a bazooka, monopod/tripod, never-mind the hassle of carrying all that gear onto the plane with you, it's very impressive what that Nikon 1 system can do in good hands!

Out of interest, as the photographer, which are your favourite 3 from this set??

Really enjoyed these, thanks again for sharing :)

Hi Joe,
Great shots and the Series 1 AW-1 is of great interest to me because I do a lot of photography of saltwater fly fishing. Any reason why you would not choose that over a V3 especially in a marine environment? My concern is controls on AW seem to because dumbed down compared to V3, but I dont want the hassle of a UW housing etc. Also were you using the accessory grip for the V3 and any comments on that?

Always look forward to your shots!
Cheers

(examples of my pix at The Auckland Swoffer)

Thanks Peter, Tom and wolfie.

Tom, my three favorite from the first set are 1, 2 and 5. Have not printed these just because my living room is already filled with prints. However, may try a couple of large prints just to check it out. You are correct about bazookas with a FF or APS-C. Most other photographers had huge lenses and they were pretty much stationary.

Wolfie, the reason I don’t use an AW-1 for surf photography is the lack of EVF. Really need the EVF at 800mm and looking through the rear LCD on a bright day would be somewhat difficult. I always use the grip on the V3 as it makes the camera feel like a mini DSLR. However, I do wish Nikon would make their V cameras more water resistant and dust proof.

had a second, third....and fourth look. Like them even more each time. I was sorely tempted to go out and buy the kit.....but I know I just cannot handle the small camera any more due to PD tremor. I'd be the guy with a bazooka (my new 5d mk3 with 70-300L) and stooped shoulders from all the weight.

Again, truly......truly....truly super shots. Magazine worthy if I may be so bold!

Hi, really good shots Joe

Do you reckon that the 70 300CX lens is worth the money over the FT-1 and Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G AF-S VR IF-ED Lens
………… the CX lens is quite expensive in the UK £879, (US$ 1400)

Obviously from your shots it looks worthwhile but the Dx0 ratings for Nikon 1 lens are not that great

Is there a comparison review anywhere?

Thanks RT Panther.
Bill, I'm unaware of a detailed comparison between the 70-300CX and 70-300G on a Nikon 1 camera. However, the G lens has a reputation of being a bit soft beyond 200mm and I've heard from individuals the CX lens is noticeably sharper at all focal lengths. Before the CX lens came out I considered a number of lenses including the G but decided to wait for the native lens. Personally, I find the 70-300cx to be one of the best lenses I've ever used. The fact I can shoot the equivalent 200-800mm handheld and get very good images is quite remarkable. Of course, this lens needs good light and I'm fortunate to live in Hawaii where I can use it virtually everyday. Not an easy decision.

Back