Sony shutter speed setting problem

Andred

Hello everybody,

I'm having a problem with the shutter speed setting of my Sony RX100 being inadvertently changed by my fingers brushing against the control wheel. I do street photography and set the shutter speed to 1/200 for all my photos but very often I will ruin a series of shots because the wheel was rotated to a lower speed, something that I had not noticed in the heat of the action.

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions to help me deal with this problem.

Thanks,

Andred

Lobby Sony to add minimum shutter speed for auto ISO? I have the same issue.

Thanks for your suggestion yakky, Sony could do that very simply in software. This is not obvious when having a first look at the RX100 but the position of the control wheel very close to the edge of the body makes it prone to be inadvertently rotated thus changing the shutter speed setting. Same body design problem existed with the Sony NEX 7 Movie button and Sony issued a software remedy to avoid accidentally getting into movie mode.

Good guess about my using Auto ISO. True, for rapid street photography, I find that my best setup is Auto ISO and a shutter speed of 1/200, I realize that a shutter speed of 250 or more would be better but then it would lead me into a higher ISO. Not good on a RX100.

Anyone else has a suggestion ? It would be greatly appreciated.

andred

do they give you the option of disabling the control wheel? Or reassigning its' function? The only other thing I can think of is something to physically obstruct or cover it....something that is removable or just protects it from being inadvertently moved, but that still allows some access to it.

do they give you the option of disabling the control wheel? Or reassigning its' function? The only other thing I can think of is something to physically obstruct or cover it....something that is removable or just protects it from being inadvertently moved, but that still allows some access to it.

Thanks Luke. I don't see any Menu option for disabling the control wheel on the RX100 but on your second suggestion I see the possibility of a small flap affixed to the side of the camera protecting the control wheel from accidental movement. I will try something.

In the menu I can select to use the Control **Ring** (around the lens) for setting the shutter speed but moving the Control Wheel will override the Control Ring setting. I find that strange.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

andred

In the menu I can select to use the Control **Ring** (around the lens) for setting the shutter speed but moving the Control Wheel will override the Control Ring setting. I find that strange.

well, if you can use the control ring instead of the control wheel, I'd just cover the control wheel with a piece of black tape (if I were having the problem you are with it). I don't have any more suggestions since I don't own the camera.

Back