Sony Sony A7 II w/ 5-axis IBIS from Olympus

Looks like Sony are pushing the limits again. Despite their history of no firmware updates, overpriced computer hardware and annoying proprietary formats, they have also brought a huge number of innovations to the table. First consumer camera with aps-c sensor - R1. First compact camera with full frame sensor - RX1. First full frame mirrorless camera - A7. First full frame mirrorless to do 4k video (with offboard recorder) - A7S. Translucent mirror technology in a DSLR. Mid-pro cinema cameras with 4k recording, S-log 2 super flat image profile for colour grading, excellent slow motion, and all at a price that is two thirds or less than the Canon cinema camera equivalent.

I don't have a Sony camera, but I've had five Sony cassette Walkmen over the years, at least four Sony stereo sets, Sony Minidisc and Hi-MD recorders, and a Sony PCM sound recorder. Might as well add a camera or two to the collection sometime!

That's a pretty big difference in grip. If I had a pancake lens for the A7 I might think differently, but with the lenses I'm using now that bigger grip will actually be welcome.

And I agree Nic, the shutter button definitely had to move with the new grip.

Are there any pancakes on the horizon? I suppose there are the 16mm and 20mm APS-C lenses. I imagine that it would be similar to putting a pancake on a Panasonic GHx or Olympus E-M1, where front of the lens usually extends at least as far as the grip anyway. The strangest feeling that I get from such a combination is that on a larger camera I expect it to be front heavy but with a small lens attached it is not.

Are there any pancakes on the horizon? I suppose there are the 16mm and 20mm APS-C lenses. I imagine that it would be similar to putting a pancake on a Panasonic GHx or Olympus E-M1, where front of the lens usually extends at least as far as the grip anyway. The strangest feeling that I get from such a combination is that on a larger camera I expect it to be front heavy but with a small lens attached it is not.

Not that I know of, but there are pancake or very small adapted lenses that people are using with the A7 also.

In m4/3 terms, find with my GH3 it feels oddly unbalanced with the Olympus 17mm or 12mm lenses due to the small size. It's not problematic, it's just an odd feeling, as you said.

I must say I am tempted by Sony's A7 line. And it's the base A7 that has my attention, especially if it dropped below $1000. I'd have to dump my entire Pentax kit (two bodies and about a dozen lenses) if I decided to buy in. But the question is, as good as the the A7 line is, do I want to mess around with full-frame lenses anymore? I'm not so sure.

I must say I am tempted by Sony's A7 line. And it's the base A7 that has my attention, especially if it dropped below $1000. I'd have to dump my entire Pentax kit (two bodies and about a dozen lenses) if I decided to buy in. But the question is, as good as the the A7 line is, do I want to mess around with full-frame lenses anymore? I'm not so sure.

It's a valid question, definitely. Sony's at least done an ok job keeping the size of the lenses reasonable so far. The 16-35 and 70-200 aren't that much bigger than the Fuji 10-24mm and 55-200 for example. I happen to have both in hand right now as I haven't gotten around to selling off my Fuji kit, and before I did I wanted to make sure the size and performance differential was worth it to me to switch away from Fuji for travel shooting. The tradeoff is Sony is sticking with slower apertures for the most part... if you're attracted about DoF or noise performance of FF sensors then some of that is negated with an f/4 zoom lens range and some slower primes.

For me the A7 actually wasn't my first choice, but it's started to make sense now that I'm shooting adapted M mount lenses and an M6 for film. This way, I can carry a couple E-mount zooms for wide and tele options, and the M mount lenses are fast primes that I can swap between A7 and my M6 and keep the same FOV.

Perhaps a small point for some, but for those initially attracted to Sony for the "compact & light" aspect, it looks from initial reports, like the 7ii is a chunk heavier than the 7 (600g vs 465g), presumably the complexity of the 5-axis system? This starts to creep pretty close to the weight of a small DSLR like our Pentax (or the Df), and the Pentax primes are overall small compared to Sony's. Yes, you are getting full frame goodness with the A7ii, but still, it becomes a relatively big system, not appreciably lighter or smaller than many DSLRs with respect to walk-around weight.

For me, enjoying as I do the all-round lightness of my EM-5 kit, I would be more interested in an eventual replacement of the RX-1, as a compact second body / walk-around / landscape camera (that I now still use my Leica X2 for).

Perhaps a small point for some, but for those initially attracted to Sony for the "compact & light" aspect, it looks from initial reports, like the 7ii is a chunk heavier than the 7 (600g vs 465g), presumably the complexity of the 5-axis system?

[...]

Actually I think the extra weight is more likely due to body changes. There's the increased grip size, and according to what I read earlier there's now a magnesium front plate like the A7R and A7S, plus beefed up lens mount for handling heavier lenses.

Actually I think the extra weight is more likely due to body changes. There's the increased grip size, and according to what I read earlier there's now a magnesium front plate like the A7R and A7S, plus beefed up lens mount for handling heavier lenses.

Ah, OK that makes more sense. Still seems a bit like these A7 cameras are proof-of-concept for Sony; the pro line Serhan linked to may indeed be the one that pulls the pieces together in a more coherent manner... what we always say of course about future cameras....:D

Saw and handled an A7ii on Christmas eve.... man I want one so bad!!

The build quality is on another level - it has that same feel that the EM1, D4, 5d mk iii have of being tough and solid. I was seriously impressed. Focus speed looked to be razor fast. Some people have nit picked the thumbwheel for not being the same nice metal feel as found on the A7/A7r/A7s. It felt perfectly fine to me. Certainly dials are no cheaper built than a 5d mk iii or EM1 (which is what I am used to). I would have preferred that Sony kept the metal jog dials (these are the nicest feeling of the lot) from the A7 range, but can't have it all. The camera literally and shoots with the speed of a full frame OMD. Quite incredible.

My gut feeling is that Sony will 'break' up the A7 line. I don't think there will be an A7r mk ii, but instead Sony will likely release the A7r's successor named A9. In the same vein I reckon that the A7s successor might be called something separate too .. e.g. A8.
Previously there were some functional/feature overlaps in the A7x range but build quality was used to differentiate the A7 and A7r. This was silly to me as from a functional perspective, there is no 'better' image taker just different shooting envelopes between the 3 bodies. I kind of view the range itself as having the 3 best films available to you - one very fast for low light, one for regular light and one very slow speed film for landscape and resolution!

Anyway, happy holidays everybody - hope you are having a great day and those of you lucky enough to get your hands on an A7ii are enjoying the heck out of it!

So far Sony showed that they are concentrating on E-mount and are responding to market needs but again they are not very clear about each of these lines if you read the newest interview below other then all Canon, Nikon and Sony will be releasing a new 46-50MP sensor camera using the same Sony sensor per the rumor sites...

Sony Interview at dc.watch.jp: "Medium format camera" No plan. Focus on current format...

A few things that I am interested from the interview with no clear answers esp with the google translation:

Q: What do you look for the "new features" in the future of image sensor?

Most of the demand is focusing performance, that is, high-speed AF. When you importance to focus performance increases inevitably reading frame. Because if you do not raise the reading speed is AF speed does not come up. Are you pursuing in the future, high sensitivity in high pixel, and high speed in a single camera.

Q: In the future, I think there is a possibility to replace from mechanical shutter in electronic shutter?

There will be its potential. But that camera I think so does not have met with only convenience. When you turn off the mechanical shutter, in that sound, as human or will not receive a sense of accomplishment and that took the photos with sensual part. Just took, you may also feel like not only the result was allowed that was reflected.

From full mechanical camera, convenience has increased Become a hybrid of the mechanical and electrical. Camera of the foot was spread in the evolution of the electrical performance of AF and AE. I would not rather talk of more and more electronic in its earlier, but, where sight is not I but it is functional value as a camera, there is I think important.

Q: α7R and do you have any plans for mounting a body within the camera shake correction to α7S?
α7R has to have a personality in α7R. Putting a camera shake correction might not be important. where you must cherish in α7S also α7S should there. I want to continue to support and assess the well there.

α7 and α7 II want you to enjoy the image quality of full frame with confidence in a wide range of many customers. Is easy to take clearly photograph is better to have a camera shake correction at that time. And I was equipped with a camera shake correction to do so thinking α7 II.

Back