Panasonic OK, so I lapsed. New camera: TZ60.

My Bro bought one a TZ60 as well.
I am curious as to what you think of the EVF?

For what it is, its much better than I expected. I was used to the 200k dot EVF of my Panny FZ100 and that is dreadful. This is *vastly* improved on that. You wouldn't choose to use it all the time, but as a bright day thing, its perfect. I wonder if theres a way I can photograph it in action as compared to the other. Perhaps the K5 might manage to do that. I'll look into it tomorrow morning.

Sadly, I have stopped liking mine. I hardly ever pick it up. Its nothing to do with the camera and everything to do with me and my expectations :)

I haven't used mine in 2 months - busy with other things and cameras, but -- I still love it because I don't know of anything that's comparable. I'd like to get the newer ZS70/TZ50(?) for the improved pixels, but that will have to wait until I'm actually ready to use it.

Sue, what is specifically the problem from your perspective? Is it image quality not meeting expectations? Would the latest TZ/ZS with the reduced-resolution sensor and improved EVF do it for you?

Nope, I think its just about the IQ. And, I cant seem to keep it steady at full zoom anyway. I'm better off with less zoom, and better sensor. I don't think I'm ever going to have a small sensor (well not that small anyway) again. I won't sell it, but I just dont use it much. The battery went flat with me not even using it much.

[edit] On thinking more about it... a reduced res sensor probably could win me back. Improved EVF wouldn't necessarily sell me on it, the number of times I actually need to use it are few and far between, only when desperate. I don't even use the good EVF on my V1, or the add-on for my XZ, unless desperate. I don't know why. Perhaps its just feeling weird, on a small camera. That said, its very useful when you cannot otherwise see a screen.

(...) [edit] On thinking more about it... a reduced res sensor probably could win me back. (...)
wouldn't it be easier to just downsample the output from this sensor? The difference between that and an actual reduced resolution sensor shouldn't be big (unless ofcourse they would tune the lower res sensor differently)...

wouldn't it be easier to just downsample the output from this sensor? The difference between that and an actual reduced resolution sensor shouldn't be big (unless ofcourse they would tune the lower res sensor differently)...

Interestingly, on this model, you cannot make that change, willy-nilly. For example, wth aperture priority set, you cant change it. Nor with some of the others. If you have iA set, you can only have 4:3 18M, 5M and 0.3M, and 3:2 16M 13.5M and 8M. There are many restrictions. In the older TZ that I had (now remembering it was, I think a TZ15) You could set that in the main setup area, and it would apply across the board. Now, there are different setups according to the mode dial selection you make.

That said, because of your Q., I have explored a bit more and discovered something called dynamic mono. Looks pretty good so perhaps I will play a bit longer. The focus peaking works well on that, bright cyan highlights on black 'n' white, neat.

I have the ZS40/TZ60, and the Leica D-Lux/Pana LX100. My impression of the LX100/D-Lux and its 12 mp on the 4/3 sensor is very positive. I would think the ZS40 would improve noticeably at 12 mp with a good effort on Pana's part, but then again, they already did it. There must be comparison reviews by now....

Well, I've come back to the TZ for a bit. I was just sitting out front having my morning coffee and I noticed a spider web with the sun shining on it. Could not be bothered with any ILCs so grabbed the TZ which was handy, as it happened. I've given up shooting RAW, none of my current apps recognise the TZ60 RAW so really, why bother... and the jpgs really aren't too bad.

16698224155_39184d29cc_c.jpg
Spider Web in the morning sun
by kyte50, on Flickr

I was quite surprised at the out of focus areas in this shot. Usually, when on iA, everything ends up in focus, regardless of the relationship of the subject to background, unless you are really close to the subject, and the background is far away. IN this case I was 5 feet from subject and the background was probably 4 feet behind that.

Last edited:
Back