1st try at newborn photography for a friend

1. I dislike baby photos
2. I like Eliot's photography
3. #2 trumps #1 (apparently....but just barely)

(keep in mind that I have never shot babies) I think in general you did pretty well. I might drop a few control points on the babies skin and turn the structure and clarity down. All that beautiful light just reveals how mottled the skin is and people will want to remember their baby in a perfect airbrushed way instead of a realistic, blotchy skin sorta way. (Of course this coming from a guy who just removed his own double chin from a photo last night......so keep in mind that I'm fine with photos telling little white lies)

But seriously, you did good..... and as much as I dislike babies, that one there is pretty darned cute.

Some really cute pictures Elliot :)
thanks c-lou-who! :D
1. I dislike baby photos
2. I like Eliot's photography
3. #2 trumps #1 (apparently....but just barely)

(keep in mind that I have never shot babies) I think in general you did pretty well. I might drop a few control points on the babies skin and turn the structure and clarity down. All that beautiful light just reveals how mottled the skin is and people will want to remember their baby in a perfect airbrushed way instead of a realistic, blotchy skin sorta way. (Of course this coming from a guy who just removed his own double chin from a photo last night......so keep in mind that I'm fine with photos telling little white lies)

But seriously, you did good..... and as much as I dislike babies, that one there is pretty darned cute.
haha! this is why i love you! :D
I'm pretty sure this thread needs before and after double chin pics, luke!!! ;D
I don't mind baby photos, I do like Eliots photography, I absolutely *detest* babies being dressed up like that. Its just too weird.
lol.. when i walked in, the mom seemed like "uhhh,.. errr... my mom got all this... STUFF... *eyes widen a bit*... for us to use" so i think SHE was weirded out a little, too.. haha!
i think ill avoid doing any baby shoots like this in the future... candid family moments, sure.. but no posey baby in russian ballerina outfits, haha :D

I'm with Sue - this baby style is just so cliched and certainly overworked in its cuteness - I think its down to some New Zealand lady. ( I'm glad others had the courage to comment before me)

Eliot - did a good job

In spite of the outfits, that was seriously good. We also enjoyed the commentary. Helps to have some light fun, first thing in the morning, after reading world news. That alone Is a sure way of having a bad day.

What Luke said, with all the baby-hatin'. Cannot stand the outfits (which appear to be Gramma's fault), and a softer touch on the skin would probably have been even better.

Sometimes you have to try things to find out that you don't like doing them. Better you than me!

Just a quick note to say that it is the photographers job (I think) to shoot the baby in the trendy for the moment strange "costumes" to make the client happy (who paid for that SWEEEEET hotel room), but then to ask if it's ok to shoot some more "candid" and "real" moments.

At the record shop, I generally try to stock music that I think is great, but I also started to give sections to artists that I think are truly awful, but people kept asking for. It matters not what the customers taste is if their money is green (with little flashes of gold and blue :D).

Back