OSX Users: Acorn

Thanks for the info. I had not heard of Acorn.
I am still using Aperture and really not wanting to go to Lightroom. Have PS 5...
I am thinking about holding on to see what apple cooks up for their new Photo App out next year that is suppose to replace iPhoto/Aperture.

Thanks for the info. I had not heard of Acorn.
I am still using Aperture and really not wanting to go to Lightroom. Have PS 5...
I am thinking about holding on to see what apple cooks up for their new Photo App out next year that is suppose to replace iPhoto/Aperture.

I'm really in exactly the same boat, don. I want to know whats coming. I was so angry about the dogs breakfast they made of photography once iOS8 arrived, with no thought to what people would use, since iphoto was to be dumped. They have released updates thank goodness, but as soon as photos is released, iphoto will disappear from the store. Its already gone from the iOS store (I never used that much, but I had it) and doesnt work with iOS8 at all, and never will. Which is a shame because photos on iOS8 as it is, is pretty crappy. I only use that for looking at whats there.

I used photoshop for the first time last night, on a borrowed Macbook Pro. Once I figured out where things were, I got entirely too comfortable with it in minutes. Now I'm in trouble... I have NO photo editing software but the stupid Office thing that's on my locked work laptop. I think I need a used laptop of some sort for christmas, and then I have the Software Dilemma to sort through. Not sure I like the "keep paying us forever" model whatsoever. So my thanks for this, Sue, I'll check out a tutorial on youtube to see what Acorn looks and feels like.

Has anyone looked at GIMP? It's Open Source. I installed it on a netbook years ago and it seemed to get the job done. Never spent much time with it though; looked like a "deep" program that had its own learning curve.

The Gimp works, but its got a steeper learning curve than Photoshop had (for me, anyway). I went through a period of using it but found it more useful for creating graphics than playing with photographs. Its fine for the latter, but I couldn't adapt to it even though I keep it on my system. A backstop I guess.

Sue, what was the iPad app that you were recommending a little while back - Photopill or something like that? My employers have seen fit to equip most people with iPads in the sadly deluded belief that they will help us do our jobs better instead of spending all day on Angry Birds, or in my case tweaking photos :) (Only joking if anyone from my company is reading this) (which I doubt)

Sue, what was the iPad app that you were recommending a little while back - Photopill or something like that? My employers have seen fit to equip most people with iPads in the sadly deluded belief that they will help us do our jobs better instead of spending all day on Angry Birds, or in my case tweaking photos :) (Only joking if anyone from my company is reading this) (which I doubt)

I think it may have been Photogene, back then. However I have discovered another couple which are also excellent... There's also Leonardo, and Laminar Pro, both of which have as much (possibly more) features than Photogene. I havent checked either of these to see if they strip EXIF info, but I know that Photogene does not. I find that I am not using photogene as much as I was.

I think it may have been Photogene, back then. However I have discovered another couple which are also excellent... There's also Leonardo, and Laminar Pro, both of which have as much (possibly more) features than Photogene. I havent checked either of these to see if they strip EXIF info, but I know that Photogene does not. I find that I am not using photogene as much as I was.
Thanks Sue, none of them are expensive so I'll probably give them all a whirl.

Back