Samsung Imaging Resource gets their hands on the NX1 - very impressive

Without any noise reduction I'm seriously impressed by the ISO6400 level of detail retained and the lack of noise for such a high ISO. Well done Samsung. If this is true, the NX1 is easily knocking on current FF levels of performance at ISO6400.
Downsample this shot and you have a VERY useable shot, more than adequate for large prints.

The ISO25600, well it works - and again you could downsample if in a bind. Would I use it? Probably not. Still the A7s and D4 are probably the only cameras that can give clean enough shots at that high a level.

This could shake up the marketplace nicely. Would be lovely to see Sigma, Tamron and a few others jump onboard the NX mount. That and I'd like to see a nice very fast 'S' grade prime lenses from Samsung in the 50mm and 85mm focal lengths.

My local Brick n' Mortar camera store (bless them), now carry Samsung!
This now makes their on hand inventory outside of Nikon & Canon as follows:

Pentax
Sony
Fuji
Olympus
Panasonic

Oh and my camera club gets 10% discount off purchases too! :)

It's also possible to download the raw files from the IR review if you click on any of the images and insert ".SRW" into the url, although I'm not sure what programs can currently open them.

i.e. change ...YSAM_0665.HTM to ...YSAM_0665.SRW.HTM

Digital Cameras, Samsung NX1 Digital Camera Test Image

etc.

It seems that after all the good work Samsung did in finally adding lossless compression to their raw files, the raws from the NX1 are back in the 40-50Mb range.

AFAIK (and correct me if I am wrong) but the NX1 uses 14bit raw files in single shot mode. It would be interesting to see the shot to shot difference in continious shooting mode (12bit raws) vs the single shot 14bit files.

A 14bit RAW file combined with the much higher MP count may account for the increase in RAW size.
Perhaps Samsung will offer a compressed raw mode (similar to Nikon and Sony), or even provide the option to shoot 12bit RAWs in single shot mode....

IR aren't the only ones so impressed with the NX1 after a short time that they can't wait to get one for proper testing:
Hands On with the Samsung NX1: One Samsung Camera to Rule Them All

I get the feeling I'm going to get an NX1. Although I wait for Samsung's cameras to drop in price (start seeing drops after as little as 5 or 6 months) I don't think I'm going to wait, This camera is looking like it is going to take the fight to DSLRs. Who would have guessed it would be SAMSUNG!?!? Lol.

I'm thinking the NX1+16-50 will be the combo that actually steals work away from my 60d+18-35

Back