what's your taste in Music?

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
You all know that I'm a grumpy old "sod" - (non Brits may have to look this word up?)

I'm getting on a bit

Yesterday someone ask me what my taste in Music was, what do you listen to most, my quick response was

Leonard Cohen, REM, Santana, Barbara Streisand and maybe U2

I'm not sure the questioner had heard of 3 of my "picks"

What does that say ……. do I need to "get a life", comb my hair or get some new clothes?

what's yours

come in Luke

Right now I've listened to this song about 6000 times.

This bloke (kutiman) finds various musicians on youtube and then splices their tracks to create new songs.

This is the best time in human history for making/creating/sharing music. The power is back with the people, wrested away from labels and companies dictating our taste. The demise of MTV was the best thing that ever happened IMO.

Like everyone I grew up listening to the staples, Pjnk Floyd, Led Zepplin, Santana, REM, Diana Krall, etc. But the stuff that's happening now is so much more exciting. The main problem I find is sifting through loads of rubbish to get to stuff that I actually like.

Stuff like this:

And then wonderful youtube discoveries like this song; a cover by someone unknown of a song from an equally unknown band.

And I'm no spring chicken myself, firmly entrenched into the wrong side of forty.

Spotify Playlist for those that have access done some years ago but still applies (only 10 hours worth )

not sure if link will work

Used to be all rock, with the Chili Peppers as my favourites. Started listening to soul, jazz, blues, and lots of funk as I got older. Added some of the less frantic African styles to the mix recently. I do occasionally find something new that I like, in all kinds of styles. Oh, and as a child I listened to classic music with my dad but I didn't really understand it; I'm slowly coming around on that.

I think at least half of my friends (mid twenties to early thirties) would know all of the artists you mentioned, Bill, so no need to worry too much!

Kutiman - wonderful Rajiv

MY VENDETTA is good

Sigur Rós - Brennisteinn - not my taste

Thanks for posting

I'm sure you've come across Sigur Rós if you've seen any modern independent movies in the last 5 years. Makes for intense background scores, usually used in closing credits. I possibly posted an extreme example of their work. But I'd agree that their stuff is a bit of an acquired taste.

Rolling Stones, Richard Thompson, Grateful Dead, Bruce, John Coltrane, Miles, Muddy Waters, all three Kings (BB, Freddie, and Albert), Bonnie Raitt, Charlie Hunter, John Scofield.

Basically the blues and anything that grew out of the blues and stays somewhat related to it - mostly jazz and rock, but a very little bit of country (almost hate to mention it because there's so much country that I really can't stand, but the best of it comes from the same place as the blues, just sung and played with a different accent).

There's great old music and there's great new music. But between the de-centralization (which is overall a good thing) and my reduced interest, I miss most of the great new stuff because I'm just not motiviated to dig it out of the vast universe of new music, whereas the best of the old stuff was served on a silver platter - and I was willing to dig well beyond that too in those days...

-Ray

Funnily enough, Sigur Ros is one of the very few that I viscerally dislike, predominantly because they seem to have managed to sell their annoying earworms to every advertiser on British TV.

Beyond that, my musical tastes are very broad. Looking at my last few Google Play purchases I find:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Lucy Kay (proof that crap TV "talent" shows can sometimes throw up a gem)
Maggie Bell
Hanni El Khatib
Ed Sheeran (couldn't stand the ginger whinger at first, but really like the current album)
John Legend
Django Reinhardt
Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott (Ex. of The Beautiful South)
"Hot Salsa" (compilation)
Steve Gibbons Band
Rumer ("Slow" is like being dipped in warm honey)
Jack White
Lenny Kravitz
Robert Palmer
Andrea Bocelli ("Amore" - the album of collaborations - is music to seduce by ;) - ask my wife)
Usher
Pete Rodriguez

...need I go on?

The soundtrack to my teens was mostly Eagles, Squeeze, Thin Lizzy, Queen, Hall and Oates, Stones, Clapton, Doobie Brothers, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Stranglers...

Today, I'll pick and choose from any genre, any artist, any time. "I like what I like" as the saying goes. The thing that costs me most is the damn "what tune is this?" function on my 'phone. "Peaky Blinders" is costing me a fortune...

Funnily enough, Sigur Ros is one of the very few that I do not like, predominantly because they seem to have managed to sell their earworms to every advertiser on British TV.

Beyond that, my musical tastes are very broad. Looking at my last few Google Play purchases I find:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Lucy Kay
Maggie Bell
Ed Sheeran
John Legend
Django Reinhardt
Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott (Ex. of The Beautiful South)
"Hot Salsa" (compilation)
Steve Gibbons Band
Rumer
Jack White
Lenny Kravitz
Robert Palmer
Andrea Bocelli
Usher
Pete Rodriguez

...need I go on?

The soundtrack to my teens was mostly Eagles, Squeeze, Thin Lizzy, Queen, Hall and Oates, Doobie Brothers, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Stranglers...

Today, I'll pick and choose from any genre, any artist, any time. "I like what I like" as the saying goes. The thing that costs me most is the damn "what tune is this?" function on my 'phone. "Peaky Blinders" is costing me a fortune...

That's what I was after, from your list I have only heard of two of them, one I don't like at all, Robert Palmer, and another that has never really interested me, Andrea Bocelli, as I find him well below "The Three Tenors" ….. which I do listen to now and again

Bless Harry Potter 7.1 for introducing me to Nick Cave... some of the most moving, sobering, threatening, darkly wonderful songs I've ever heard. And loads of **** I don't care for inbetween :daz::tongue:

I'm not one for angst unless its old authentic angst (Billie Holiday for example)
The music I veer towards gives me a lift - Traditional Jazz like Jack Teagarden / Early Rock like Link Wray / Blues like Buddy Guy

Bob Dorough , Oscar Brown Jnr, Lola Haag are some of my favourite finds off Spotify most on my list posted I think are excellent eclectic eccentric

I've seen many favorites of mine here. (Way too much overlap wiht Bill) I'm also fond of prog rock a la Pink Floyd and Wakeman. I will admit to my secret love of Baroque, especially Vivaldi. Chopin and Debussy late at night.

When someone comes to me an asks for an obscure jazz recommendation and they add that they already have a pretty good collection, I recommend the one (and sadly only) LP from Tony Fruscella. Best to enjoy his lyrical beauty and not dwell on his sadly shortened life.

I love virtually all kinds of music and having spent a career in radio and televison has allowed me to be exposed to virtually everything. Being born in 1957, I suppose one would assume that rock would top my list. One would be close. But jazz is my musical center and it started with this composition that I heard for the first time when I was about five years old. I'm not saying I understood all of what was going on, but at some fundamental level I knew It Was For Me:

I alo listen to a whole lot of Blues and what many call Triple A music these days. The only form that generally annoys me is what consitutes modern pop and country these days. But I used to love both and still love Classic Country and Outlaw Country.

Well, when I look at my favourite ever albums I still find that 2 from the 1970s are still up there - The Clash's London Calling and Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town.
My other favourite album is The Decemberists' "Present Picaresque" which has sustained me through many motoway journeys.
Otherwise I am very partial to a bit of Idlewild or just Roddy Woomble on his own; I had great hopes of Okkervil River but they have gone off the boil of late.
I look back at the prog stuff I loved as a teenager and either wince or chuckle. "I awoke in all encircling mode" and all that...I ask you!

I've been a big Rush fan for years (decades actually), with Led Zeppelin running them a close second as my all-time favourite artist. I also have an embarrassing 70s prog rock habit, as I love Jethro Tull, early Genesis (Steve Hackett era) and Peter Gabriel. A few years ago I would have listed Talking Heads and U2 as favourite bands, but I can't say I listen to either much these days. Tastes change.

I was a late convert to Springsteen, and to Richard Thompson, and I'm gradually purchasing their respective back catalogues as funds allow. I love Robert Plant and Kate Bush too - both artists going strong at the moment.

A couple of iPhone snapshots of Richard Thompson and Rush, since I saw them both last year (poor image quality, I know)

-R

15430092647_7d6dc5f0eb_c.jpg
RT by clearbluesky44, on Flickr

15430131047_5f6e134d4d_c.jpg
Rush O2 2013 by clearbluesky44, on Flickr

Back