Bletchley Park Mono's

Name
Andy
Thanks guy's. I think 'our version' of the Jet engine was invented there also. It's amazing how secret the place was during the war. Most of the UK didn't know it existed let alone Germany!

My father and I went for a look around Bletchley Park a few years ago. It was an interesting day out, although there wasn't as much to see back then. I remember they were very proud of a rebuilt Colossus computer which was newly completed.

[For those who don't know, all of the code breaking equipment was destroyed or moved out of Bletchley Park at the end of the war. I think the instruction from Churchill was that everything left on site was to be reduced to a size no larger than a man's fist. As it happens, most of the code breaking equipment which was moved ended up about a half a mile from where I grew up - not that we knew at the time]

I'd like to go back for another look at Bletchley Park when they've done further renovation.

-R

Between that, and our cracking Enigma without tipping the Germans and Japanese off, it's amazing what went unnoticed.

Nice set of shots Andy - not a bad looking place to hang out if you were a code breaker.

What those guys managed to do without tipping the enemy is something it's hard to wrap my head around today. NOBODY tipped off loved ones living in areas they knew were about to be hit because doing so would have likely caused mass exodus and clearly tipped off the enemy. Must have been hell...

-Ray

The experts recon the code breakers helped to end the war by 2 years. God bless em! Oh and there is a film coming out soon in the cinema's based around someone who worked as a code breaker. Deff gonna see it!

Back