"Beyond the Image" at Kean University, Union, New Jersey

15608345655_00c15b6930_b.jpg

Mill Street Salon: Beyond The Image at Kean University Galleries
by john m flores, on Flickr

"Beyond the Image" presents the work of nine New Jersey based photographers who are committed to pursuing universal themes of the human experience in their art. For some, inspiration comes from internal quests to understand relationships and intimacy. Others find inspiration in external stimuli, by documenting what they see in the social and cultural landscape, exploring the character of people and places beyond what is familiar. Others meditate on their reverence for the natural world and express that with their photographs. These are important stories to tell that may enlighten, stimulate, provoke or entertain the viewer. Raj Aitwal, Ethan Feinsod , Alex Fernandez, John Michael Flores, Sandy Noble, Walter Oliver, Mike Peters, Alan Schindler, and Bruce White.

"Beyond the Image" is part of an ongoing series of biennial shows at Kean University’s Karl and Helen Burger Gallery titled the Garden Statement, which intends to address the idea of regionalism — however paradoxically, as it can no longer be neatly defined by traditional physical limits."

Neil Tetkowski
Director of University Galleries
Kean University

I am thrilled and honored (and to be honest, a touch nervous) to be in this show with such fine photographers. What started as a loose group of motorcycle/photography friends (many in the group ride motorcycles–go figure!) has been meeting regularly for nearly two years because each of us wanted to move our photography forward and were looking for a constructive venue to do so. At each meeting, we share photos from our projects in progress, talk about new projects, provide thoughtful critiques of individual photos and projects, and discuss photography's ever-changing place within the larger social context. I can't speak for everyone in the Salon, but sharing photos and ideas with this group of working pros and accomplished personal photographers is my MFA and I'm a better photographer for it.

For this show, I'm stepping away from motorcycle travel photography and have been working on ideas related to the intersection between man and nature, some more abstract, some more realistic.

I'm as excited as anyone to see the photos and projects that we've discussed for months in our meetings on test prints and laptop screens finally printed, mounted, and presented as finished pieces. There are really strong images here covering several different genre, and if you enjoy engaging, captivating, thought-provoking photography, you won't be disappointed.
Hope to see you all there.

I think you holding your camera in the photo makes you look the most badass in the group. (y) Also, you have 3 names. I would only be nervous about the guy who used his middle initial.

But seriously, most of the hard work is over. Now you should enjoy the fruits of your labors. Looking forward to seeing some photos from the opening. Congrats!

John- congrats! Keane is just down the Parkway from where I live so I will make sure to see it. I'll pass along as well to members of the NJ Photo Forum, who I am sure will be interested.

Ed

wow, that's really cool! Congrats! New Jersey is just a bit too far from my place to visit, but if the photos are ever put online, I'd love to see them!

Thanks for the kind words, all! Photo credit is given to the whole group since the camera is on a tripod but we all had our opinions on how the shot should be taken LOL.

I'm a bit nervous because I've done a silly thing and ventured out of my photography comfort zone–motorcycles and cats–to try my hand at something different–landscapes, of a sort. I'm getting 3 large 20"x30" standouts printed by White House Custom Color. They should be here next week.

If the other photographers are willing, I'll be happy to post and share in some way. Some of the work is already floating around online. Mike Peters' photos for the show will come from this collection - Don't Walk - 42nd and 8th - MikePeters-Photography Many if not all of these shots were taken with his Panasonic GH3/GH4.

And the camera I'm holding in the photo is the Pentax K-01, which doesn't just make me a badass, but a badass with three names.

Well the opening reception was a smash hit yesterday. The gallery was filled, with people spilling out into the hallway.

I had three photos in the show, each 20" x 30" standouts from White House Custom Color. I was a bit nervous because I'd never printed this large before* but White House Custom Color did a great job, sending me free test prints and helping me get the files just right. Here are drafts of the final photos from my Flickr.

8010658071_2fa1db4ebb_b.jpg

Our Indomitable Will

14886495177_01e3b48496_b.jpg

Our Insatiable Appetite

13656222633_77735cf617_b.jpg

Our Mastery of the Elements

Overall, it was a great experience, and being part of the Mill Street Salon has helped me grow as a photographer.

John_DSF3523.jpg

Photo of me by Sandy Noble.

If you're in the area, I highly recommend stopping by. The show runs through 2015 Feb 12

And here's some shots of the gallery before the opening:

15814527471_7a4c646b23_b.jpg

Mill Street Salon: Beyond the Image show at the Karl & Helen Burger Gallery, Kean University, NJ USA

15196451204_5b00c983ce_b.jpg

Mill Street Salon: Beyond the Image show at the Karl & Helen Burger Gallery, Kean University, NJ USA

15631554510_836ed305b1_b.jpg

15630599939_837bdeaf64_b.jpg

15196975983_7d13b1d89e_b.jpg

*that's not entirely true as I had a photo used as a background for a trade show booth, but that's a different thing altogether.

Congratulations. Best wishes with the show. The images are wonderful. I think the third one is particularly striking but they are all excellent. I hope you'll continue with the project and show us more.

Looks really good, John!

You can't beat the feeling of seeing an image printed out large for the first time.

For sure. And some images really need to be seen at the size they were originally envisioned to be. One of the other photographers had a photo of a man walking along a sidewalk where the adjacent wall was painted with a mural. Beyond was a busy rail yard. At small scale it didn't say much but when presented big....wow.

Congratulations. Best wishes with the show. The images are wonderful. I think the third one is particularly striking but they are all excellent. I hope you'll continue with the project and show us more.

Thanks! I have other concepts in the planning/experimental phase. I hope to incorporate people in the next series.

Great news - glad the show was a hit!

The best moment for me was when I got into a ten minute debate with a guy (an aerial photographer) about the rock quarry photo. We had very different opinions but I said to him, "He listen, I'm glad that we're having this conversation and that my photo elicited such a response." The fact that someone would react enough to one of my photos to want to debate the message is worth more than a hundred "great photo!" comments.

This is really cool John, congratulations! I didn't see this thread until now but I would love to come see the exhibit :2thumbs:

John Flores is a true Renaissance Man. His interests and skills are wide and deep: Photography. Motorcycling. Computers. And Lord knows what else. He's livin' large and lovin' life. ;)

This is really cool John, congratulations! I didn't see this thread until now but I would love to come see the exhibit :2thumbs:

Thx!

If anyone plans on stopping by let me know. Maybe we can have a little meetup and I can give you a tour of the show.

Back