a recipe for chicken wings for your Sunday football gatherings

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
15569870601_6c7e28b576_b.jpg
chicken wings by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

3 lbs. of chicken wings (I like some drumsticks, too)
1 cup of soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ginger

pour mixture over wings and bake at 300 degrees for 2-3 hours. Baste occasionally.

Enjoy and have plenty of napkins on hand.

And don't worry about leftovers...they reheat GREAT. I actually like em better the next day.

15386906110_247574f142_b.jpg
DSCF4006 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

I simply must know... did the dogs get a taste?

nope. We are trying to be better about not giving in to the begging. Not surprisingly, once you stop giving in every time they beg, the begging behavior goes away. And when we do give them some "human food", we place it in their bowls or "accidentally" drop some from our plates so that they don't associate begging behavior with humans handing out food from their plates.

begging is cute in the beginning stages. When we visit my wife's Dad, he has two dogs that are spoiled. When they beg and are denied food, they actually bark to get their reward. It is unbelievable. And they are smart enough to only bark at her Dad.....they know that barking at anyone else just gets them scolded.

Thank you, Luke!

I really like the photograph.

And I tried the recipe.....though I had to make a few minor changes and adjustments: I discovered I didn't have any brown sugar so I used extra ordinary stuff. And I didn't have any chicken wings handy but quite a few drumsticks, which filled in admirably. And I could resist adding a tiny dab of sesame oil and a few shakes of curry powder to the already heady and potent mix.

And.....(drumroll)......how did it turn out?

Quite simply, your recipe ROCKS. It produced some of the tastiest, most scrumptious chicken I've EVER tasted. And probably the best drumsticks I can remember tasting.

So - my hat's off to you, Luke - thank you!

P.S. I would have taken a photo or too of my version but....my fingers were far too sticky, something I believe you warned of ("have plenty of napkins on hand") in your original text which I foolishly disregarded. Maybe in addition to the napkins....a hose would have helped ;-)

Luke, do you cook them in a single layer or tossed together? I assume the skin is crispy and you have a sticky-sweet-tangy sort of glaze?

If it wasn't after 10PM I'd be considering defrosting a pack of chicken thighs and trying this out tonight, because now I want some yummy chicken!

Just jam in however many you want. I single layer will keep them more uniform in color. The skin is soft and chewy, but if you like, you can throw them under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp them at the end of the cook time. They are generally more of a melt in your mouth and fall off the bone kinda thing, but a little cripsy-ness to the skin would not be unwelcome.

I treat a recipe as a leaping off point (much like Miguel did). It's really just a general outline and I rarely make anything the same way twice. One can always improve...or at least strive to improve.

Another variant I would try if you enjoy grilling is to start them on the grill. Put them on a nice hot grill to brown up the outside and seal in the juices. Then follow the directions. You could probably shave off 15 minutes of the cooking time in the oven at that point.

Let me know how they turn out.

Back